Are these noun phrases too difficult to explain?

Please read:

a.The government has pointed out [color=red]the bad effect certain drugs have on people and has decided to effect new laws to restrict the sale of these drugs. (1)

b.The government has pointed out that certain drugs have [color=red]a bad effect on people and has decided to effect new laws to restrict the sale of these drugs. (2)

1/ Why did the author use [color=red]the in (1), [color=red]a in (2)?

2/ the bad effect certain drugs have on people is a noun phrase. So, what is the head of this noun phrase?

3/In the bad effect certain drugs have on people , I think have is a verb used within anoun phrase.This is the first time I have realized that a verb can be used within the noun phrase. Please give me other examples where a verb can be used within the noun phrase and analyse them. In (1), why “have”, but not “has”?

4/In the bad effect certain drugs have on people , the author emphasized the bad effect .Right?
If not, how to write to emphasize the bad effect ?

5/In the certain drugs bad effect have on people , the author emphasized the certain drugs .Right?
If not, how to write to emphasize the certain drugs ?

6/ Please tell me the rule to turn (a) to (b)?

Thanks
Quoc

PS: The first sentence is written by teacher Alan.

Hi Tung Quoc,

I think you should stick to one point at a time and not mix up your views/comments from different forums. I gather you are also asking questions and quoting from this forum on another forum under another name. While you have the perfect right to change your user name, ask questions on as many forums as you like, I don’t think it’s a good idea to pursue points on exactly the same text with different forums. Have a discussion here on english-test with other users, which is what the majority of our users do. I believe that Amy in particular has been extremely patient in answering all your points over the last few weeks and I consider it rather insulting that you then follow up what you have gained from this site on another site. The aim of this site is to help people with their English questions not to engage in half debates with other moderators on other sites. This is very confusing to other users and in view of your knowledge of English, it must be very confusing to you. I would ask that you co-operate in this matter.

Alan

Hi all,

To be frank, I am grateful to your answers, especially to Jamie as well as Amy with the answers in every detail, to Alan with the answers about grammar, very concise and easy to understand.

However, even though I post here some questions from other forums, it’s my right, because this forum is open for everybody. It’s isn’t “my duty” to say to you where the questions are from, for that doesn’t exist in your rules.

Besides, even for anybody in any forums,when asking sth, the sentence(s) is/are maybe written by another person, sure.

Anybody can be moderators of many forums and I can ask whatever I want, in any forums. If you can answer all the posted questions in the best possible, everybody thinks this forum is great, your qualification is proved and therefore, everybody will post their questions on this forum instead of on other forums.If you don’t like, you can not answer.

See what I mean?

Tung Quoc

Do we have the right to break ethic Internet’s laws…