Are there mistakes in the sentence?

The traffic accident occurred at 9am this morning.

Are there errors in the sentence?

Thanks.

4 Likes

Hi Kohyoongliat,

• No, no error whatsoever.

But if the accident happened before twelve a.m. you must use the present perfect if you don’t mention the exact time of the event.

• A traffic accident has occured in the east-bound lane this morning.
    compare:
  • A traffic accident happened in the east-bound at nine a.m. this morning.

I hope I may have been of some help to you.

4 Likes

Hi @Kohyoongliat. Your sentence is fine as it is. No errors. :blush::+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for liking my post Andrea. I try to help out every now and then. But I wonder if it’s ok to say: ‘I hope I may have been of some help to you’?

4 Likes

Thanks, Andrea.

Can “a.m.” be used together with “morning”? If not, I think “a.m.” should be removed.

4 Likes

You’re welcome, Marc! I’m glad you’re jumping in! Thanks for your in depth answer :blush::+1:

4 Likes

Hi Kohyoongliat

Yes, you can insert a.m, especially because you mentioned the exact time in the morning at 9 a.m… I think it’s even necessary when you want to inform people about the precise time.
And as Andrea also pointed out: your sentence is as fine as it is. No errors.

3 Likes

@Kohyoongliat. I think you can leave it here because you are being specific about when it happened. “9am this morning”. If it was yesterday… “9am yesterday morning”.

Another option is to use “9 o’clock” instead.

4 Likes

As you know Andrea, I completely agree with you, but you’d have to use the simple past if the accident occurred yesterday:

• A traffic accident happened at 9 o’clock/a.m. yesterday morning.

I would also mention the place, where it happened.

3 Likes

Thanks, Andrea.

I think “9 o’clock this morning” does away what I view as redundancy in the original construction.

Can it be written as “nine/9 this morning”?

2 Likes