Are the exclamation marks necessary?

He shouted, “Go away!!” Are the exclamation marks necessary, and if yes, can there be two exclamation marks?

Thanks.

1 Like

Yes, but only one should suffice.
By the way, I read the following: The wolf shouted, ‘Bacon, pork and ham, oh what a lucky wolf I am!’ It was wriiten by Roald Dahl in his ‘Revolting Rhymes’ in which he gives a whole new twist to the fairy tales we have all known since childhood. This English writer with Norwegian roots had an enormous sense of humour and was, in my opinion, a very good judge of character. ‘Revolting Rhymes’ as well as other books of Dahl are highly recommended, as far as I’m concerned. You really ought to try it.

1 Like

Here’s an article on exclamation points and bangorrhea.

2 Likes

Hi Arinker,

I agree with Leonard, but I would like to say that adding an exclamation mark could also imply a command, anger or even hysteria. A few examples:

• A command: ‘Go to your room and do your homework now!’ (like a stern father or a strict mother).
  • An expression of anger: ‘I never want to see you here again!’ he bellowed.
  • An overwhelming emotion: ‘You, dirty hound, get out of my sight!’ she cried and screamed uncontrollably, whilst waving her arms high up in the air (sorry for the language).

However, be that as it may, I think Elmore has a wonderful sense of humour, just look at the following paragraph and the sentences in bold type:

“See you there!” - in response to an invitation to a party - implies enthusiasm about attending. “See you there.” merely states that you will be there. It could just as well be a rendezvous by the gallows as a joyous social occasion.

Yes, Arinker, I liked reading the text you shared with us.

1 Like