Are my SAT scores good enough?

Hello everyone.

I’ve been practicing for my SAT for quite a while now, and did alot of practice tests. But then I find out that the SAT has changed dramatically (only 2 days ago, and my test is in 3 days >_>;; ). I knew it changed, but I thought they only added essays, but anyway…

I used to get a score of 1100 on the old SAT, and I just did a practice test for the new one (I bought a book with 12 tests in it yesterday). I only just finished it an hour ago. Anyway, here are my scores:

Math: 620
Critical Reading: 640
Writing: 500 +essay (I didn’t know how to judge that :? )

So…I know my score is pretty ok, not incredible, but ok. Now I want to know, will alot of colleges accept this score ? Like Harvard for instance, would this score be good enough for them ? I’m not going to Harvard mind you, I’m just curious :slight_smile: .

Thanks.

Yes it is very impressive. I wish I could get a 640…

Hey guys. Here are my scores:
Math: 690
Critical Reading: 720
Writing: 720
Do you think they can get me far?

Harvard requires 600 points for each of the parts (Critical Reading, Math, Writing). Moreover, they demand that one takes at least two SAT subject tests and get around the same scores, I guess–I have no idea how the SAT II is scored. This may seem weird but Harvard doesn’t offer scholarships.

Check out this link for more information admissions.college.harvard.e … index.html

6o6olinka your score is outstanding, 2250! You have a great shot. If you haven’t taken any SAT II, sign up for a couple.

Harvard students achieve WAY higher than 600 for each part… what are you talking about??? Check out their mid 50% range of SAT scores:

Reasoning (a.k.a. Critical Reading): 700-790
Math: 700-790

They don’t have a range for writing score yet because it’s still relatively new. But what these numbers mean is that the BOTTOM 25% of their students score below 700… their TOP 25% of students score above 790… and the middle 50% fall in between 700-790. Come on - it’s Harvard - a 600 will not even get them to open your file.

i dont think you need a MINIMUM of 700 though; after all, 25% of the students there didnt do THAT well on the SATs. But you do need to improve that 500 along with doing some extracurricular activities.

Its not bad but not great. With some luck you might be able to get into some good schools. I had the same kind of issue but then I just put a whole lot more work into it. Bought some books and did some practice tests. To keep me motivated and on schedule I signed up for weekly practice tests at www.practicethesat.com; they don’t charge anything and they give out $20 for the top score. The question and explanations are really good too.

Yeah Robert I just signed up with the weekly scheduled tests. I am actually excited to take it. I like the competing against other students part. It puts a little edge on the whole experience. www.practicethesat.com =good stuff

I am glad I was able to help. I know you can use every little bit of help these days.

Those scores are not that bad. It’s going to depend on what school you want go to. Also, while SAT scores are important to many schools, there are other things that are just as important. Like Mernie said, having extracirriculars is important (not a lot of extracirriculars, but dedication and leadership is always good) and I think that a good essay is equally as significant as the scores. And don’t forget decent grades in high school!

hey guys… did u hear about the referral promo at paracticethesat.com? u should def look it up, and i will c u all this saturday for the practice-test

I found a site: www.perfect800.com. They offer hundreds of free SAT Math questions, and you can sort by difficulty and question type, so you can really pick problems that work for you. They also have leveling up and challenges which give it a video game like feel. It’s awesome!

I strongly reccomend you get the EZ Solutions SAT/ACT books and get the Official Guide.

your sat scores look okay you can find SAT score of harvard and other universities here
admissions.college.harvard.e … y/faq.html
satteststudy.com/average-sat-score/