Are all the quotations marks correct

"No one in their right mind will want to spend their entire life working till they lie six feet under. Given a choice, no elderly will want to collect cardboard boxes & deem it as “a form of exercise”. Given a choice, no elderly will enjoy clearing plates in the hawker centre “to stay active and engaged & to feel a sense of worth and purpose” “, he added.

Are all the quotation marks, especially those before “he” correct?

Many thanks.

3 Likes

The quotations for “a form of exercise” and “to stay active… Purpose.” Aren’t needed. Other than that they are correct.

3 Likes

I am not really happy with using ‘elderly’ as a noun. I think you need to say ‘elderly person’ for example.

3 Likes

Thanks, Alan.

I agree.

1 Like

I tend to rewrite it thus:

"No one in their right mind will want to spend their entire life working till they lie six feet under. Given a choice, no elderly people will want to collect cardboard boxes and deem it as ‘a form of exercise’. Given a choice, no elderly people will enjoy clearing plates in the hawker centre ‘to stay active and engaged, and to feel a sense of worth and purpose’“, he added.

(Within the quoted speech, we may enclose/highlight words and phrases with single inverted commas. Further, the ampersand symbol in place of ‘and’ may be avoided.)

3 Likes