And I do... why in Venice

Hello everyone,

This is an audio clip from the 1964 movie Mission to Venice.

Michael Newman and John’s wife talk about a postcard from Venice. Michael has read what’s written on the postcard and doesn’t understand what it means.

This is what I hear:

• That’s strange, I don’t understand.
  • It doesn’t even have a signature. And it was done on a typewriter. And I do**…** why in Venice?

I can’t understand what is being said between “And I” and “Why in Venice”.

Could it be “And I do wonder why in Venice?”

Thank you.

2 Likes

I listened a dozen times at slow speed. I can’t understand what she says. It might be “any idea why in Venice?”. She raises pitch on the word “Venice”, which could indicate a question.

3 Likes

Neither can I. Is this a DVD- movie you bought? If so, switch on the English subtitles.
Mission to Venice (1964 with Sean Flynn, right?) The full movie is on Youtube, here’s the link:

It does have subtitles, but I don’t think they’re very accurate.
It might help a bit.

3 Likes

Certainly not clear, but perhaps “And anyway, why in Venice?”

3 Likes

NearlyNapping, Masme, Arinker, thank you all very much for your help!

3 Likes

Masme, yes, it is the 1964 Mission to Venice, staring Sean Flynn and Madeleine Robinson.

First I found this movie on YouTube and later, by pure accident, found out that in the version posted on YouTube a scene where Marie Trégard first came to Michael’s house is missing. And then I found the full version here:

3 Likes

This version of the movie makes a lot more sense with the extra scene. The line still isn’t clear, but I would guess “And anyway, why Venice?”
Bear in mind that this is dubbed from French, so that the voice actress may have been trying to make it fit with a shorter French phrase.
Don’t feel bad about not understanding this originally.

3 Likes

I won’t and thank you again, Arinker.

2 Likes