An independent essay for TOEFL....please comment

Independent question :

Do you agree or disagree with the following statement?
Creativity is necessary at your work or school.
Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

The topic of debate is creativity at work or school. I strongly support creativity at my work. I am a teacher and according to me it is creativity in my teaching which can give a better learning outcome of a class.

The first and most challenging job of a teacher is to hold the attention of the students in class. It is to be remembered that the attention span of the children are really short. Teaching in a monotonous manner by reading out from the textbook or by showing a presentation in the class will hardly present attentive students. In order to teach the importance of ergonomics, a teacher had asked the students to go to junior, middle and senior section classrooms to study the furniture, their shape and size, and report back. This gave the children a better understanding of the topic than regular lecture in class.

Secondly, having creativity in the classroom can be more engaging for the students. For example, in an English drama class, a teacher may ask the students to enact the characters instead of simply reading out the dialogues. This would not only keep the children engaged, the other children in the class would also be keen to participate in the process in the next class.

Finally, a creative teaching leads to quality teaching, maximum student involvement, generates inquisitiveness and creative ideas among students and leads to good quality submission of work. There have been instances where students were inspired to imitate the teacher , fell in love with the subject and pursued it for his or her higher studies.

3 Likes

Hi Sharmistha, welcome to the forum. I can see that your command of English is quite good, so congratulations on that.
I don’t think your introduction was as effective as it could be though. Your opening sentence seems a bit odd and clumsy. For the TOEFL, I find that a really effective introduction format is to 1.State the general topic (but a bit more subtly than you have} 2. explain why the topic is important 3. state the debate around the topic 4. give your opinion on the debate. So here, a general outline might be: 1. As a teacher, I need to master certain skills 2. These skills will determine if I can successfully teach my students 3. It is important to recognize which of these skills are essential. 4. I believe creativity is required for me to maximize the learning outcome of my class.
Your body paragraphs are better, but be sure to keep referring back to the main topic, creativity, in your explanations and examples. I liked your specific and personal examples; those are key to scoring well in the TOEFL.
Here are some specific suggestions:

3 Likes

Thank you for your observations. I would definitely try to work on your suggestions.

2 Likes