An increasing number of schools provide tablets and laptop computers

Please assess this

Question: An increasing number of schools provide tablets and laptop computers for students to use in school, replacing books and other printed materials like exams and assignments. What are the advantages and disadvantages of this trend?

The unprecedented growth of technology has affected all areas of our life including education. This has led to schools replacing paper based items such as books and exam papers with electronics like computer and tablets. In this essay, I will discuss the benefits and drawbacks of this practice.
Giving tablets and personal computers to students entails two main advantages. Firstly, these devices have large amounts of information placed in them. In other words, paper books that would generally occupy the space equivalent to a large room can be digitally stored in a coin sized chip. Personally, this aided me greatly during my time in medical school, where I needed a plethora of books but lacked the space to store them. Additionally digital books will reduce paper waste, which will positively affect both the climate and nature. While billions of trees worldwide are cut down to produce paper, a trend such as this would reduce this number to almost zero. Thus, the more such devices are used, the more beneficial it will be to students and the environment.
In contrast, there are some perceived disadvantages to the extending use of tablets and computers instead of books. To begin with these devices have a great amount of functions and applications installed, hence it will be common for student to get distracted from their studies due to them. My nephew, for instance, received a tablet from his school in order for him to study better, but it did not take him very long to find the in-built games and spend hours playing them instead. Furthermore, in comparison to paper books these devices are very expensive, which will cost a lot more a lot more to purchase. Therefore, schools would generally demand a high budget if they are public or a high fee if they are privately owned. Thus, if it were to be a universally followed trend, many students, whose financial background is not as privileged as others, would not receive a quality education.
In conclusion, while replacing paper books and tests with digital computers and tablets would reduce waste and help make information easily accessible, it might also distract students from studies and might become a financial burden on them.

2 Likes

The unprecedented growth of technology has impacted every aspect of our lives, including education. This has led to schools replacing paper-based items such as books and exam papers with electronic devices such as computers and tablets. In this essay, I will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of this practice.
There are two main advantages to issuing tablets and personal computers to students. First, large amounts of information are stored on these devices. In other words, paper books that would normally take up a large space can be stored digitally in a coin-sized chip. Personally, this helped me a lot during medical school when I needed an abundance of books but had no place to store them. Digital books will also reduce paper waste, which is good for the climate and nature. While billions of trees are cut down worldwide to make paper, a trend like this would reduce that number to almost zero. So, the more such devices are used, the more benefits there are for students and the environment.
In contrast, some disadvantages are seen in the increasing use of tablets and computers instead of books. First of all, there are a lot of functions and applications installed on these devices, so students are often distracted from their studies as a result. For example, my nephew got a tablet from his school to help him study better, but it didn’t take him long to find the built-in games and play them for hours. Also, these devices are very expensive compared to paper books, making them much more expensive to purchase. Therefore, schools usually charge a high budget if they are public schools or a high fee if they are privately owned. If this were a general trend, many students whose financial backgrounds are not as privileged as others would not receive quality education.
In summary, while replacing paper books and tests with digital computers and tablets would reduce waste and provide easier access to information, it could also distract students from learning and become a financial burden.

2 Likes

How many bands is my essay worth?

1 Like

What do you mean by ‘bands’?

1 Like

As in the ielts exam, each essay gets a score or bands
I was about how much would you score this essay based in the ielts scoring criteria

1 Like

Please read this:

1 Like

I read it, but I wanted to know that if you were an examiner looking at this essay how much would you score them?

1 Like

Are you talking about IELTS, TOEFL, Cambridge, LCCI or Duolingo?

1 Like

I wantee to give IELTS academic

1 Like

You mean you want to take the IELTS exam? I think you probably can get between band 6 and 7 depending on much you are going to change your habits and goals within the next few months.

1 Like