American / British English

Hi there,

I was wondering is this site all dedicated to American English or British?

I have seen both on various exercises but it doesn’t say anywhere.

Could the co-founders kindly put it at the bottom of all the test pages if it’s in American / British English.

1 Like

The site is dedicated to English.

As you have observed, both AmE and BrE can be found in the exercises, but the majority of the work is common to both.

If you have any confusion as to whether a particular question or set of questions is in a particular form of English, you can always ask on the forums, but the two forms are not as far away from each other as you might imagine, so most of the time it really won’t matter.

2 Likes

As one of the co-founders I must tell you that we aren’t really bothered about what variant of English is used both in the tests or by users of the forum. The only criterion is that it should be both acceptably and grammatically correct.

It is not an issue that you need be worried about.

Alan

2 Likes

I wonder where English learners get the impression that there is a big difference. This seems to be a common misperception.

1 Like

It’s also interesting that most learners seem to think that US and UK English are the only two variants of the language.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Relaxing

I belive the question is valid because of different spelling of some words in US English. I wonder if some of your tests are designed to accept both versions.

Cheers,
Hannah

1 Like

Perhaps you could point out a test where having to input either the American or the British spelling of a word makes a difference within the answer?

1 Like

I think the question is great. Because, I see there are some words just used only in American English. It’s important for some one who will take IELTS test

1 Like

Can you give an example of a word which is exclusively used in American English only? I can’t think of one and I don’t imagine it would make any difference in a test.

Hi Alan,

There is ONE EXCEPTION in the TOEIC test and that is the use of the present perfect, which should be to the standards of North American English.

Yes I know, but so is it! :slight_smile:

Rob

Can you please provide an example?
Why should it be to “AmE standards”?

Did you do the exam yet?

Yes I did it yesterday?

Correct Grammar : Have you done the exam yet?

Rob
Authorized TOEIC Test Administrator.

Yes, that is typically (though not exclusively) AmE use, and probably penned by one of the AmE question setters who were on the forums at the time they were created (my guess would be Linda), though you still haven’t explained where it is.

Using the simple past instead of the present perfect is absolutely standard in modern business English so the phrase is correct English. Rob needs to brush up on his grammar if he wants to use our forum to peddle his website :wink:

A conversation between a university student and a professor in the professor's office | TOEFL Conversations | english.best What is the main weakness of the student’s essay?

Is ‘do the exam’ a good collocation? If yes, would you cite a few others excluding ‘take the exam’ and ‘give the exam’?

1 Like

I think the EU Citizenship English Test is much better and valuable than the British Citizenship English Test.

2 Likes