also run

Would you tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentences?

Vilkie and Hencken are nearly 3 sec faster than the “also runs”, a huge margin in swimming.

“I’d like you to have my family, thought, they’ll all be there,”
“I’ll turn up among the “also run” and keep cut of sight.” (J. Galsworthy, “Flowering Wilderness”)

also run = an unsuccessful competitor, the first backwards participant in a race; lame duck

Thank you for your efforts.

yes

In this context, should it be “… are nearly 3 sec faster than the ‘also swims’…” ?

:wink:

p.s. “The first backwards participant in a race”? Ivo, where do you get these from?

Hi Thredder,

Thank you for your kindness.
“The first backwards participant in a race” is one of my countless airy notions. I have heard the likes of it by my repeated visits at horse races. First is reported the names of the winners and then you may hear the names of the horses that are dropped out of the classification. That enumeration begins with the words “also ran”
The sentence of question is from “Morning Star”, July 16, 1976. You have to be sure that there was
Here is another similar example for usage of the expression in question:
Every one who goes to Charleston in the spring, soon or late, visits Magnolia Gardens… it consigns the Baboli at Florence…to the category of “also ran” (J. Galsworthy, “Caravan”)
Regards,
Ivo