All at sea? -- Expressions with the word 'sea'

Hello everybody,

I’ve just read Alan’s essay. It is brilliant as usual and as usual usefull for learning English language and studying English culture.

I live too far from the seas but, paradoxically, I can say that I live near the sea. Why? Just a moment and you,ll understand me.

There is a Russian folk song about Lake Baikal and the first line of this song may sound in English approximately like this:“The glorious sea, The sacred Baikal! (for Torsten and other learners of the Russian language: Славное море священный Байкал!)”

When first Russians came up to the Baikal they were so impressed by its vast dimensions that they called it sea though the water of the Baikal was fresh as in any fresh water lake.

Now the Baikal is considered to be a lake but there are some historical reminders that it was caled once Sea Baikal. For example, the Baikal is symbollically divided into the Minor Sea (to the North of Olkhon island) and the Major Sea (to the South of Olkhon). And there are also many reminders about that in folk legends about the Baikal, in songs and in fairy tales.

Thank you,

Yuri

1 Like

sir you are talking about pronunciation of expression language

How are you,
Thanks for the essay. It’s helpful and give me some idea. I have really enjoyed it!

Greetings!
It is an interesting article. I learnt new idioms on sea expressions.
Will you pl explain me about “a sea change” with some other example?
Thanks so much Alan,
Seetha.

Dear Mr. Torsten

I think sea is smaller than ocean.
We called ocean to description a huge water on the earth.

In Indonesia sea is “laut”, and ocean is “samudera”

Ok, last
Do you have explanation about spell of sea and see?

Thank you.

Dear Torsen,

There in different between Sea and Ocean. The Ocean is bigger than Sea but according to Alan sea is grater than ocean. However for English learners and for the time being Sea is greater than ocean. Alan use idioms which relate to our life and thing appear in the world. ‘All at Sea’ it means that every thing we want to achieve most time there is obstacles which can hinder achievement.

‘A sea of faces’ It means that if you learn new things you think that every people look at you, lough at you, you will get fear, something which is not true.

‘A sea Change’ Is when you achieve your goal.
These idioms teach us if we want to achieve our goals we should straggle to solve the problems which we face without be discouraged.

Please correct me accordingly.

Thank Torsten, Allan and all Forum members,

Martha

hi everybody, this forum is very helpful and informative and this is my first message since i joined the forum on 2009. Now a days i’m taking great interest to read and study your lessons. WIsh all the best

regards
bab…

Hi bab,

I appreciate your statement. The remaining thing is to record your voice.

Have a nice day.

Martha

Hi Alan, Torsten & everyone,
When somebody in our language characterizes by the " sea " that to say
" somebody is like the sea "= that means he/she isn’t a good person and he always changes his mood according to the situation he/she is in.Like the sea waves when sometimes it becomes rough, and sometimes calm.

Hi Martha,

This is the first time,i’m using a voice message. I know my voice is not fair. my accent and intonation are not good. Any way i think this site is very useful for such people like me who really want to improve english skill. i really need your support and help and pls give some tips to increase my speaking skill. i can read and write english very well. But i don’t have a oppertunity to communicate in english with others. Waiting for your reply.

regards.

bab…

Hi Bab,

Thank you very much for your email. Even myself I have the same problem. The last week I manage to record my voice message after straggling for a long time. I think what we need to do is to do more practice in recording and to follow instructions of our Teachers Toesten and Alan including all forum members. Do not be discouraged with mistakes.

I will be happy if someone (forum members) would correct my mistakes because We learn through mistakes.

By the way would you tell me where are come from?

Thank you. Keep it up.

Bye

Martha

Hi Martha,

Thanks for your replyl. I’m an indian from kerala. Now a days i’m spending most of the time by listening BBC news and watching TV News programmes. So i’m getting an average idea of what’s going on this world. When i listern to recording in the forum, i really wish if i could communicate as you do in the forum. i know it will take some more time. For a career developement, fluency in english is must, No matter whatever we know practicaly, but we should know how to communicate the same to to anothers without any mistakes. In my career life, i have a lot of failure as i’m not so good in english communication.Even now, i’m not thinking that there is no mistake in my paragraph.

I really look forward for a reply.

regards,

bab…

Dear Alan Sir

Your Essay "Sea Expressions"was very good. This time only you wrote it
very simple. Everytime I had to role my head to understand the meaning.
I like sea very much, whenever I go to the seaside I will stand and watch the
waves and sea water.
Sir, why don’t to write Shakespheres’ words simple story and make everyone happy.

sea;means mass of salt water covering the major part of the earth’s globe.
whereas Ocean means the vast expanse of sea water. ex : Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean.

Thank you

S.Shanthi

Hello dear Torsten it´s a very nice essay, in my language (Spanish) we use the sea in many similar ways as you do for example “she is made a sea of tears” that means the only thing she has been doing is crying, another one is “a sea of feelings” when you are really excited.
best regards
Josazapr

Hi Ramesh,
Since I am not a native, I did it my way, such as ‘Say it again please’, ‘Could you paraphrase your talks?’, ‘Would you explain to me further (more) what you mean?’, or just say a word ‘meaning?’ or ‘pardon (excuse me)?’ to avoid a slip of the tongue. It works for me. Thanks for stopping by. Lina

Hi Remesh
I read your messge through forum.you don’t bother about not understanding of
meaning of a word or sentences. You keep reading the same sentence which
you feel difficult, sometimes slowly you can understand the meaning, otherwise
you note down the hard sentences and words in a seperate paper, you can
find out the meaning later from dictionary or any forum learner or our Guru
Torsten sir, Alan Sir. You don’t get discouraged because of this. When I
joiined this form, I also felt like you, now I could manage some extent.

When you attend Listening Exercises you can really enjoy by seeing
photography. On seeing photography you can find four options, even
if you don’t know the meaning of the sentences, you can match with the
words and picture. Below the text you can find, verbs, nouns, adj, quizzes.

I hope you will make use of all the facilities which forum provides you.

Thank you wish you all success.

S.Shanthi

Hi everyone

As Always that was great essay, full of beautiful idioms. I love sea ,I consider it as a most kind-hearted thing in the world. Whenever I go to the seaside I wish to join it and broaden my world as wide as sea.

Hi every body
In Persian we use the word “world” instead of sea when we encounters to a lot of problems, things, people … or some times we use “Kooh” means mountain when encounter a lot of duty for doing.

Hi,Alan! Thank you very much for the essay.
In English we say “a sea of questions” and “an ocean of people”. There are quite a few others.

In English the word “ocean” basically means the Atlantic, Pacific and Indian oceans. Anything smaller that is part of one of the oceans or is directly attached to it is a sea. If it’s inland, it’s a lake.