Alan's latest idea?

Hello everybody,

What do you think of Alan’s latest idea? He has written two new tests containing idiomatic phrases that are often used in conversations. How many of those answers do you know? What other phrases would you like to practise? Have you checked these tests yet?

ESL Test: Responses[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Installing stone blocks[YSaerTTEW443543]

The tests are very good because they have so many idioms that you cannot learn from text books.

Hi! Undoubtedly you are right. but i cannot remember these idioms.

Hi Thinker,

You can memorize idiomatic expressions when you

a) read them aloud
b) repeat them often
c) listen to them
d) try writing them down out of memory

You have learned many idiomatic expressions of your mother tongue because you head them so often in appropriate contexts. Create a similar situation with English phrases and you will get similar results.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Are you the new accountant from the head office?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten! It is too boring for me. Maybe you will think out something that will be more interesting.
:cry:

Thinker, why should I think for you if you can think for yourself? People who say that somehing is boring don’t have their own ideas that are interesting and unique. Learning something new, acquiring knowledge and skills can never be boring.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: She was at the conference last year, wasn’t she?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Torsten! It is very easy to explain. You are a teacher. I am not a teacher. You have an experience to teach pupils. At the moment I am the pupil who wants to learn interestingly. I think you are capable of successful solving this diufficult( but often solvable) problem .
:smiley:

Hi Thinker,

What question are you referring to?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Who is taking Ms. Pillette to city hall this week?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I tell that it is very boring for me to memorize the idioms and so on.

I understand. And now you are expecting me to offer you a solution. I greatly appreciate your trust in my abilities. I know that you are capable of finding interesting and effective ways to improve your English. One of them is our forum where we can share our experiences.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: When can you deliver the order to our warehouse?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Torsten! You exaggerate ( I don’t invent ways to improve my English).
8)

Torsten,

Great test on idioms!
I’ve a question:

ESL Test: Responses 4

Question 10 in the abobe assignment. “you’ve lost me”

I’ve answered it correctly, but it’s my intuition rather than knowledge. What does it mean: ‘you’ve lost me’ Is it 1.I misunderstood, 2.it’s too difficult or 3.I misheard something? or something else?

Dear Aranthaa,

Many thanks for joining our community. As for your question - I’ve pasted it below for the other forum members so they can follow our converstion too:

Test No. [color=blue]incompl/elem-31 “Responses (4)”, question 10
Mike: ‘Then you take away the first number - are you with me?’
Jane: ‘

(a) No, you’ve thrown me.
(b) No, you’ve hit me.
(c) No, you’ve turned me.
(d) No, you’ve lost me.

When somebody says «You’ve lost me» they mean that they cannot follow — they cannot understand what the other person is talking about. For example, if your colleague is talking about a topic which you don’t know all the facts and details you might not understand any of their information.
I hope you are still with us? :)[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Would you rather have juice or a soft drink?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Torsten & Alan,

Thank you for your new tests. Actually, we need such practice to learn more idioms and phrases. We have to enlarge our vocabularies specially those that used frequently in every day language.

I just want you to give us lessons or tests in (Prefix & Suffix), I’m still facing difficulties to learn them perfectly.

RGDS.

Hadeel

these test are very useful