AFI Eilenburg

Hi everybody,

You don’t seem to be too many working with the eilenburg class now. It sounds great, Scott.
I’d have a request that’s got nothing to do with Eilenburg. I’d like a Brithish native speaker to read the abstract of my thesis. It’s a three-pages text and supposed to be directed to a Cambridge professor in the first place.
Many thanks in advance and it might even be interesting to read.

Trainers in training,
Daniel

Monday 20th
We began the week with a warm-up game of ‘Hang-man’. On Friday I gave the ss the address for the Jobcentre in UK and asked all to find a job they would like to do, which they were to print out and bring in. We started by each person explaining their advert, telling us:
Job title, location, hours, salary and job description.
I then explained the basic rules of a business letter, including structure and format, salutations, the body of the letter, and complimentary closing.
We then wrote a covering letter to put with our CV as if we were applying for our chosen jobs.
To continue the theme of ‘Getting a job’, I gave the group a worksheet which concentrated on common Questions and answers and language used in interviews. We also carried out some role-play.
We talked about different types of business letters that are written. In preparation for tomorrow I asked the ss to look for a product they want to enquire about and find a company’s details on the internet that we will write a letter to.
Tuesday 21st
We began the day with a game of ’20 Questions’, each ss had to think of a person, place or thing and the group would ask investigative questions to try and ascertain what they were thinking of. It was a very good way to revise forms of questions and answers.
I then gave the ss a listening test based on a piece of writing I had prepared, i first read the text then asked 10 questions.
To carry on where we left off yesterday I gave the group a handout with examples of expressions and phrases used when writing a letter of enquiry to aid with their own letter. All ss carried out this task with competence and understanding.
We then carried on with the book, ‘Checking and correcting information’. We concentrated on:
Ordering and supplying.
Clarifying information
Contrastive stress.
Complaints and apologies.
We finished the day with a translation exercise, I brought a book in with photos of dogs which has very basic expressions with each picture. Each ss had a chance to translate the expressions.

Report number EILEN001:
Date: 03.07.2009
Location: AFI Private Akademie für Informatik GmbH, Bergstr. 62 04838 Eilenburg
Time: 8.00 AM - 15.00 PM
Teacher: Ian Spring

Report:

Today was my first day with the Eilenburg class. This was their last week.
As I normally do, I first Introduced myself and quickly formalised myself with the students.
We spoke for a short while about myself and my background.
Afterwards we discussed what had been covered and what the students felt would be helpful material for their last week.
After this, we first started with Telephone conversations and typical business calls.
In this instance I was a upset customer and the students were the caring helpful customer care personnel.
It was a interesting experiment as we alternated the roles and also speed of speech over the phone and also attitudes of speech.
The students in this case were well able for the challenge and in some cases were so acute and quick in response, that they left the berated customer speechless.
After this exercise, the students transcribed some of the text from the customer care conversations and I helped in correcting their grammar.
Finally for today, we went back over positions in space and with the aid of diagram on the whiteboard, the locations and distances and titles were clarified.

These students showed a amazing flare for finite detail and perfecting English to a astonishing level.
I was very impressed for my first day.

Report number EILEN002:
Date: 04.07.2009

Report:

To start the day I asked the students to tell me a little about there privies evening.
After this short conversation, the students were asked to write a short report on there evening.
When this was completed, we read the text and helped correct each other, the grammar etc.
After this task, we then continued on the topic of free time and composed a concept of better health in free time.
The core idea was that the students must compose a interesting collecting of new activities that would benefit themselves and there family, both for there mental well being and physical health.
After lunch we then used the website www.ego4u.de
We systematically went thought the different grammatical tests and clarified the small mistakes that the students continued to make.

Report number EILEN003:
Date: 05.07.2009

Report:

As usual I first asked the students to tell me a little about their privies evening.
After this was completed, I gave the students the task to search for a interesting news article from CNN or BBC news website.

The students had to read the text and then read out to the other students.
Tell the students what each sentence meant and then at the end, explain the overall big picture of the text. The students were allowed to help each other and when necessary I was able to clarify any misinterpretations of the sentences.

Report number EILEN004:
Date: 06.07.2009

Report:

To begin the day, the students and myself discussed our evenings from the previous night.

After this, we discussed some new topics that were discussed in the news.
We also discussed the political differences between Ireland and Germany.
The students then composed a text, explaining the differences and what helps to build a national identity.

This was a very interesting project that bore fruit. The students were able to structure their thoughts and ideas into high quality sentences with good straight forward logic. The grammar and structuring was overall very good, with only minor errors to be corrected and clarified.

After lunch, I gave the students one page of text each. The text consisted of new text from a Irish economic and political newspaper.
The student had to read the text and translate it to German. After this the students must read out the text for the other students and explain each sentences meaning.
Finally, I was able to clarify some of the more subtle elements of the political text.

Report number EILEN005:
Date: 07.07.2009

Report:

Today is the last day for the students and they are all very happy to be finishing. All the students had received their certificates the Friday before and now the students were ready to finish.
For the final day, we began with one more sample text from the London Times.
We spend some time reading these texts and then explained and discussed.
After this we discussed a little about each of the students plans when he or she was finished in Eilenburg.
Before lunch time, we all made a nice cup of tea and coffee.
We sat down and watched a very good English language film “Fort Apache” or in Germany “The Bronx” with Paul Newman.
All the students really enjoyed the film and found little problem in understand the spoken English.
After the film was finished, we all went into Eilenburg for a Donor Kebab and said our good byes.

This was a astonishingly good class with a fantastic knowledge of grammar and vocabulary.
I really thing Torsten’s approach to English learning set these students in the perfect direction for success.

Best wishes.
Ian.

Hi, my name Jens and I visited this course to improve my English knowledge. My English before this course enfolded only phrases and some vocabulary. Now, at the end of this course my English is much better and it was a very good possibility to increase my English level. The teaching manner was well and we also had a lot of fun. All in all this course was very useful and we did have a good time. Thanks an all teacher and maybe we will see each other.

Jens Sigismund
member of the course from the 10th Aug. - 2nd Oct.09

My name is Steffen. I have English lesson since 10th August in Eilenburg.
I attended this course to improve my English and also I would use it in a new job to possibility.
This course is very demanding for me. The other members of this course are very nice and friendly we have a good time.
I like that any teacher are native speaker, it´s very interesting and informative for me. So we learn many things from their homeland and culture.
It is easier to understand for me than even to speak. I think I would be the tips from the teacher to learn better to more listen on radio or internet.

Greetings Steffen

My name is Thomas

I like this education. The education is friendly.
We to had good students and good people.
This ratio is fir the short time, very good.
I am happy the people and the teacher have learned to know to have.
I am happy to have met the other people and teachers
I have learnt better English for my next trip on holiday or for other jobs.
My problem is remains the words and remembering the words.

Yassou Thomas

Hi dear trainers,

it was a nice day I spent teaching 14 women at the AFI in Eilenburg. We had a varied and exciting day starting with a personal handout, however, only a part of it:

“Would you do your shopping in a budget supermarket?
I have never been into a budget supermarket but one of my best friends bought a really nice salami sausage from Lidl’s it was one of the best I have ever tasted! Usually I shop at Morrison’s but I think I could be converted to Lidl’s!”
"I love Aldi. It is specially fantastic for jams, cheeses, cold meats and big bags of fresh nuts, all the things that are so expensive everywhere else, And they have some good special offers - one week I bought two running tops from there, and they are great. My only gripe about my branch of Aldi is that there are only ever two checkouts open, and long queues; but having said that, the staff on the tills are very fast. "

I had them read the text carefully first, look up the new words in their dictionaries, translate it and then explain to me what a “budget supermarket” or what they can associate with it (cheap, Aldi, Lidl etc…)

Then we did oral exercises, specially in connection with some of the basic grammar and vocabulary structures found in the handout, e.g.:

• Would you open the window, please? (would you-conditional polite form)
  • Have you ever tasted my/this…? (Present perfect with a signal word - ever). I pointed at one of the products they had on their desks: e.g. Ja-milk, candies, saltsticks etc…). And the short answer: Yes, I have/ No, I haven’t.
    Then we also practised the verb to be with the idiom: to be into:
  • I am not into your saltsticks, your Ja-milk, these oranges etc.

We reviewed thus the present perfect and the verbs to be/have, specially in the short answer forms. As usually, I asked them to spell words every now and then. To my mind, Ina has made some progress, although she still needs help. The most important thing here is that she seems to be a bit motivated now and it also concerns other participants in class.

We then moved on to the next exercise in class: game of dice.
We cast the dice and one of the participants should name as many things in connection with a given generic name (hypernym: e.g.: garments, furniture, countries, cities in the USA, UK etc.) according to the number of pips: e.g.:

• Name me five cities in the USA?
  • Could you name me three colours that you can see here in class?
  • Four months, please etc…

In addition to the oral communication practice inherent in this exercise, it was also intended to review numbers, relevant vocabulary fields and important geographic, historic and cultural aspects of the English-speaking world.

We also revised some of the main parts of the sentence: nouns/verbs/prepositions/adverbs/adjectives. This was done in a written exercise. I split the class in 5 groups and each group was asked to write down respectively ten verbs, ten adjectives etc…
We also did a funny exercise consisting of writing a freely chosen word on the blackboard (one by one). Sense of the exercise: imagination, creativity and last but not least: construction of a short text.

In the afternoon, we did a grammar exercise regarding the usage of some common prepositions: on/at/in. We then went over to the computer room, where they were able to use some of the most known English-German dictionaries and translation tools. I reminded them of our english-test.net exercises again that they can continue reading at home.

Best regards,

Roberto

Hello Roberto, thank you very much for your detailed and interesting report. It’s obvious you have been connecting with the group greatly and they are on the right track. What I like most about your approach is that you are using a variety of different methods making for a good mix of games, exercises, dialogues and grammar. Also, the topics you have selected apparently appeal to the group and they relate to the purpose of their entire training program.

Next time you can incorporate some listening comprehension exercises. Start with this course: Audio English Course for Beginners and have the group take notes. In addition, you can dictate important keywords and have them repeat phrases containing those words. You can use either your netbook with active speakers or the company’s CD player. Another thing you should consider doing is recording your own voice here on the forum in advance so you can then replay it to the group later. Please let me know what you think. Many thanks, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Preparing for a test[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

thanks for calling. I’m glad to hear that the Nordhausen-group enjoyed their short stay here in Leipzig. As for tomorrow in Eilenburg, I have just checked the best departure time from Eilenburg so that I can arrive in Halle right on time for my appointment there. My suggestions: either we have shorter breaks tomorrow or the group keeps sitting in class according to the schedule solving a task I would assign to them. What do you make of it?

This is the best departure time from Eilenburg:

Eilenburg
Di. 13.04.10 ab 14:37
Halle(Saale)Hbf an 15:24

I’ll be in Halle today too. If I manage to postpone my appointment (e.g. 5:00 p.m), I’ll let you know immediately.

Regards and keep in touch!!

Roberto

Hi Roberto, thanks a lot for your quick response. It’s good to hear you have been able to postpone your Halle assignment.

Good luck tomorrow,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: At the hospital[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi dear trainers,

I’d like to sum up the last English lesson given to the Marketing-class in Eilenburg on Tuesday, April 13:

I assigned a task to groups of two or three participants that consisted in reading through short texts summarizing some essential marketing aspects in simple English. The sentences were first translated and explained with the help of dictionaries and then using the computer. We focused on the most important words and expressions.

Here are some of them:

1.‘Marketing is the management process that identifies, anticipates and satisfies customer requirements profitably’

1. ‘The right product, in the right place, at the right time, and at the right price’
    3."Marketing is the human activity directed at satisfying human needs and wants through an exchange process’
    4.‘Marketing is a social and managerial process by which individuals and groups obtain what they want and need through creating, offering and exchanging products of value with others’. Verbs in -tain: obtain, contain, retain, detain etc…(compare German verbs ending in -halten).
    5.Implications of marketing:
    -Who are our existing / potential customers?
    -What are their current / future needs?
    -How can we satisfy these needs?
    -Can we offer a product/ service that the customer would value?
    -Can we communicate with our customers?
    -Can we deliver a competitive product of service?
    -Why should customers buy from us?
  2. The marketing concept:
    -choosing and targeting appropriate customers
    -positioning your offering
    -interacting with those customers
    -controlling the marketing effort
    -continuity of performance

7.Successful marketing requires:

• Profitable
    -Offensive (rather than defensive)
    -Integrated
    -Strategic (is future orientated)
    -Effective (gets results)

8.Marketing management process:
-Analysis/Audit - where are we now?
-Objectives - where do we want to be?
-Strategies - which way is best?
-Tactics - how do we get there?
-(Implementation - Getting there!)

• Control - Ensuring arrival
    9.Why is marketing planning necessary?
    Systematic futuristic thinking by management
    better co-ordination of a company’s efforts
    development of performance standards for control
    sharpening of objectives and policies
    better prepare for sudden developments

In the afternoon, we revised some essential grammar structures (auxiliary verbs, prepositions, present tenses etc…).
We then conversed on different subjects, e.g. Eilenburg, surrounding areas, cities and villages, the weather in Eilenburg, their families, money, pets, children, travelling, living abroad etc…I hinted at the importance of continuing learning English outside the classroom and stressed the great value of our english-test.net links.

Regards,

Roberto

Hi Torsten,

It is a briefing the last days:

• Video Luschenfamili translation “Presidentday”
  • Is it a verb or a noun - exercice
  • listening exercises - for example: spell and write Number and Letter - Address