Advocates of anti-smoking campaign

The multiple choice question below appeared in a test of mine. The answers given were (B, F, and I). Can anyone help me understand why the answers should be B, F and I.

Advocates of anti-smoking campaigns are (i) _____ the fact that the number of smokers per capita has (ii) _____ since the 1970s, perhaps aware that, lest this trend reverse itself, their message, which is predicated on dire predictions, is likely to be more (iii) _____ than one rooted in reality.

i. (A) quick to cite (B) reluctant to acknowledge Β© indifferent to

ii. (D) remain unchanged (E) been dramatically ballooning (F) been steadily decreasing

iii. (G) harmful (H) disingenuous (I) efficatious

3 Likes

It’s a very confusing type of question. Why don’t you use our questions instead?

3 Likes

@ TorstenEnglish Language Coach
What I grasped from the sentence is that supporters of anti-smoking campaigners know that the number of smokers has declined since 1970, but they do not want to admit it for the fear that their acknowledgement may cause to the rise of the smokers again. However, what is confusing me is how come a message based on extremely bad predictions be more efficacious?

2 Likes

Please note that there is a significant difference between campaigners and campaings.

2 Likes

Since β€˜than one rooted in reality’ matches more with β€˜disingenuous’ than with β€˜efficacious’ (misspelt as efficatious, though), I would opt for (H) rather than (I).
By the way, Sarkar, who has declared (I) as the correct answer?

3 Likes

Advocates of anti-smoking campaigns are reluctant to acknowledge the fact that the number of smokers per capita has been steadily decreasing since the 1970s, perhaps aware that, lest this trend reverse itself, their message, which is predicated on dire predictions, is likely to be more efficacious than one rooted in reality.