Advice please: IELTS v TOEFL

Hi … I am an EFL teacher based in London, I teach privately on a one-to-one basis and have a new student who had wanted to do the IELTS test, then came back to me saying she’d rather do the TOEFL test because it’s more American, and easier … She is a 21 year-old economics graduate from Portugal, currently working in a shoe shop, who would eventually like to work in banking / finance - I’m not sure where … I’ve never taught TOEFL and wondered if anybody could share any wisdom on the differences between the two tests and any advantages / disadvantages? … With many thanks, Kate

Hi Kate, what exactly does your student want to study and where? Most universities accept either a TOEFL score or an IELTS band as they call it. It’s not so important what kind of exam your student takes. What really counts is that she has clear goals and knows exactly what she needs her English language skills for.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation in a professor’s office between a professor and a student

thanks for the reply … my student has decided to do toefl in the end ; )

1 Like

as you said, I think you should search on google that how to learn toefl ibt effectively. Therefore , it will appear a lot of value informations, which is necessary with you.good luck

1 Like

you will have a clear idea, just follow the link:

IELTS vs TOEFL - which one is better ?
(dxschool.blogspot.com/2013/05/ie … etter.html)

Thanks,
wish your good luck. :slight_smile: