Adjective or Past Participle?

Ok,

I see :smiley:

Many thanks

Have a good weekend.

Khanh

Khahn
I’ll add one more comment, but after this I’d prefer to be finished :wink: with this topic. Thank you!

When you compare finish as a transitive with finish as an intransitive verb, you’re not comparing the same things! It’s as simple as that. You also are not giving any further context along with your sentences. Your examples using finish as an intransitive verb are highly unlikely sentences and would only be possible in a very specific (and probably unlikely) context:

b. We finished the play at 10.30. (b) (“finish” is transitive, active sentence).
[color=blue]For example (only an unlikely example is possible): A group of us were writing a play and we finished (writing) the play at precisely 10:30.

c. The play was finished at 10.30. (c)(“finish” is transitive, passive sentence).
[color=blue]Continuing with the unlikely example above: The writing of the play was finished (by us) at precisely 10:30.

As you can see, I do not understand the same thing in sentences b and c as in a and d.

Regarding your homework: :wink:

a. My homework finished. (intransitive) [color=blue] This is is not possible as a sentence, in my opnion

b. I finished my homework.(transitive active) [color=blue]OK

c. My homework was finished. (transitive passive) [color=blue]You need to add "by whom"otherwise it doesn’t make any sense to write this as a passive because without “by whom”, this sentence will be understood the same as sentence d. In other words, your homework was complete - and it will be assumed that you did your homework yourself.

d. My homework was finished. (adj, means “over”) [color=blue]This sentence is better with is instead of was unless you mention some kind of time (or the end time has already been mentioned): “My homework was finished before I went to the movie.”

It is my firm belief that this topic has now been explained in nauseatingly minute detail and therefore I’m finished. :wink:

Amy

Hi Amy.

Ok. We are finished with this topic. :smiley:

Can you return to “which one(s)” part and explain to me correct or not correct?

Thanks
K