Adapt my email please I want correct the expression and grammar

Hell everyone
I want to send email to University including enquiry. Please correct me the expressions.
To whom it may concern,
I intend to study a ph.D. At the … university.
I graduated from Masters degree in 2014 from USA. While I drop out from Ph.D. last year in British.
My question about admission is:
Should I study English /bring ILTES or the year I studied at Brish could work?
Thanks

1 Like

Hi, It might be better if you typed out the entire letter and so we could give you specific advice on how to optimize your letter. That being said, I will correct the expressions you have written

To Whom It May Concern, {capitalize the whole salutation}
I intend to [pursue] a [PhD] At the … [University].
I graduated [with a] Masters degree in 2014 from [name of university]. While I [dropped out of my Ph.D. program] last year in British. {This is not a complete sentence. Also, “in British” does not make sense - British is an adjective. Finally, “I withdrew from my PhD program” sounds more flattering}
My question about admission is: {ok, but I would not use the colon - “My question about admission is, what English proficiency tests are acceptable?” }
Should I study English /bring ILTES or the year I studied at Brish could work? {This sentence does not make any sense. Maybe you mean something like “Should I study English for a year and then take the ILTES test, or is it sufficient that I attended a British university for a semester?”}

3 Likes

Frankly, I’d say a person who commands such a standard of English as this is not eligible for pursuing a PhD programme which warrants the submission of thesis in English.

2 Likes

hi,
i done the master from USA IN 2014
then I started the phd in british but i drop out.
now i want to full new application in Australia university.
usually australian University has a condition for students who is not a naitive english speaker which is ( must not have 2 years from done graduated year)

so I done in 2014 which is about 5 yeasr. does the year ( 2017) i studyied in British enough to cancel this condition?
i hope it is clear.

1 Like

thank you for your reply. and i hope you help me with some step to improve my writing

2 Likes

Hi, it is sort of clear. I would say it like this:

I completed my Masters degree at a US university in 2014. Then I began a PhD program at a British university in 2017 but withdrew after one year. Now I would like to apply to a university in Australia. Most Australian universities require their applicants who are not native English speakers to have earned a degree from an English-speaking university within the past two years. I graduated in 2014, which is about five years ago, not two. Does the year I attended university in Britain fulfill the English requirement?

Personally, I agree with Anglophile. Whether or not you currently qualify to apply to university in Australia, I think studying English by taking a formal course will help you achieve your goal of getting a PhD.

3 Likes

The question is if a PhD is really something that will make you happy.

1 Like

Thank you for your correct
And thank you for your suggested
I have tried to improved my writing. The problem is the reader does not understand what I wrote.

1 Like

I hope so. Thank you

1 Like