A third-year worker at a big company?

Hello,

I found an interesting line from a drama: I’m a second year associate at the firm. I understood it like, “I’m a lawyer. I have been working at the firm for two years.”

1. Then, can I say like, “He’s a third year (office) worker at a big company”?

2. “At a big company” sounds a bit odd to me… (hmm, big company for what?) I guess it might be better to use the name of the company. If I don’t want to mention his company’s name, then is it okay to say like, “He’s a third year (office) worker at a conglomerate.” This time, it sounds quite grand. Haha. Is there any term to commonly describe that kind of big company, like Apple or Samsung for that sentence?

2 Likes

I’m afraid you can’t transfer the ‘second year associate’ pattern onto the situation at a company. The pattern works only in situations where a person completes a training course or education program such as at a university, school or a law firm. Please let me know if this make sense.

1 Like

Thank you very much, Torsten, I understood.

Then I should say something like, “He’s been working for 2 years at OOO.” Is there another way to paraphrase this sentence?

2 Likes

Here are the options I see:

He’s been with Google for three years.
He’s been working for Google for three years.
He’s been working at Google for three years.
He’s been the CTO at Google for three years.
He’s been the CTO of Google for three years.

Please let me know if this makes sense.

1 Like

How quick you are!!! Thank you very much.

2 Likes

You are welcome. 别客气

2 Likes