'a thin story' - indelicate? too sarcastic?

Hi

Does It’s a thin story sounds rough? (indelicate? too sarcastic?))

Hi Tamara,

I think you can just about say a thin story but to my ear, without wishing to be too academic, I prefer the separation of the two words and would say: That story sounds a bit thin. In other words I would use it predicatively instead of attributively.

Having said all that I would still say thin in the sense of without substance or slight is acceptable when applied to words like: story, plot, excuse.

Alan

Hi Tamara

The word “it” suggests that you might be saying the sentence to someone other than the person responsible for the story.

Now, if you said “That’s a thin story” the sentence would sound more like direct feedback (i.e., said directly to the person who told the story). The meaning could be “That’s a lie” or “Your story lacks substance/isn’t well-written”. Either way, the person responsible for the story probably won’t be happy to hear the comment. :wink:

I wouldn’t call it “rough”, but just how indelicate or sarcastic it might be perceived would depend mostly on the context (and probably the personalities involved).

Amy

Hi Tamara,

Had another thought about thin, which may be of interest and that is the expression: having a thin time of it. If you are having a thin time of it, you are going through a difficult period in your life, mainly through being unemployed, not having much money ot having personal problems.

Just a thought on thin. Thanks

Alan

Hi Alan! Hi, Amy!

Thanks!

I know the expression go through thick and thin! Its Russian equivalent sounds even more funny :slight_smile:

… Going to read your answers - slowly and with pleasure :slight_smile:
(but having no intention to vanish into thin air :slight_smile: )

The thread is wearing thin, so I’d like to add one expression I find particularly funny:

To be thin on top (to become bald).

You should also concentrate on a limited number of projects, otherwise you might run the risk of spreading yourself thin.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, photographs: Playing beach volleyball[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi!

thin table:slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

By the way, in Russian a delicate, subtle hint = ‘thin hint’, literally.
The funny Russian phrase (pun) is ‘a thin hint to thick facts’ (= hint at the obvious)
:slight_smile:

P.S. Amy, thank you very much, indeed, for that it/that. I will be careful! :slight_smile: