Dear Allan,

may I say Allan?

I have got a little problem.
Our English teacher told us that British people write
organi[color=red]sation
und American people write
organi[color=red]zation.
My dictionary only says that both, British and American people, write it with
a “[color=red]z”. Please, can you tell me what’s right.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards
:twisted: teufelchen53

Hi Teufelchen,

Thanks for your note - yes please call me ‘Alan’. Incidentally what a delightful name you have given yourself. It sounds much better in German.

But to your question. I have no wish to intervene between you and your teacher. It is quite true that British English would usually use ‘s’ instead of ‘z’ in the word you quote but both forms are used nowadays. This also applies to words like: (using American English spelling) finalize, standardize, idealize and so on. The tendency in British English is to use ‘s’ in words like: organise, realise, recognise and so on. In this area I don’t think ‘s’ or ‘z’ is a big problem. Other American spellings such as for example using ‘or’ in ‘labor’ as opposed to British English ‘labour’ as well as the use of single consonant/double consonant in a word like ‘travelled’ or ‘traveled’ present other problems. In those cases it is probably best to be consistent rather than switching between the two spellings. If you’re interested in American/British spelling I suggest you log on to say www.washingtonpost.com and read some of the articles.

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Alan

Dear Alan,

Thank you very much for you answer and for your compliment. :smiley:

I didn’t want that you intervene between my teacher and me. I was only a little bit irritated because of that what my teacher said and what my dictonary shows. Most of the time my dictonary shows American and British writing of words, but in this case it only shows one way to write it. That it was what me confused. But know I understand and say: Thank you very much for your help.

By the way, I chose that nick (in English it’s a gimp) due to the fact that I think that my character is a little similar to a gimp (German Teufelchen). I am not bad all the time, but I am not an angel. I like angels, but they are too honest. Sometimes I am very brash and my opinions are all but not honest.

And the funniest thing is, I am an elder gimp laugh. I am at the end of my 30th.

I think a little devil like me could be a wonderful character with all its faults which I know that I have. But I think I am a likeable Teufelchen. That’s me.

Best regards

Hi Teufelchen,

I hope you got the full answer in my message because it seems to have appeared twice. By the way I think the word you want is ‘nickname’. As for ‘gimp’, I must admit I had not heard it used before in that sense and I would translate ‘Teufelchen’ as ‘Little devil’, which has an affectionate connotation as well. To me the word ‘gimp’ means a silk or cotton trimming around some other material. I had to look up the other meaning and apparently it means ‘a clumsy person’, which I’m sure doesn’t apply to you. So I have learnt a new word too. A mixture of devil and angel - sounds an interesting cocktail to me!

Best wishes

Alan

Hi, it is very good you are mentioning the different versions of spelling because it shows how diverse English as a language can be. For example, Canadian English uses elements of British spelling (for example ‘centre’) and US spelling (for example ‘labor’). This is very good because we English learners can always refer to the fact that there are so many spelling variations when we make spelling mistakes :slight_smile:
What do you think - will there be one standard spelling someday or will the little differences prevail? After all, those differences are just minor, aren’ they?

Hi kievstar,

that’s a very nice idea I think. My problem is, that I have the test in British English on November 14th. I must know and use the British spelling. But I think later, when I have done the exam (and passed I hope) I use your explaination.

I don’t think that there would be one English in future. The countries are using English are so different, that different ways of spelling will exist.

Best regards

Hi Teufelchen, I don’ think that it’s important whether or not the countries using English as a means of communication are different or not. They are more similar than they are different. And so is the English they use. I do think that because of the internet the spelling differences will become smaller with the time. English is after all, a global language.

I agree with you. Today I had an English exam from the LCCI in London, and so it was very important for me to know how the British spelling of the words is.

The test was very important for me and it was - how I said - very necessary to know a special spelling. In daily doing it isn’t that important. There are so many kinds of writing English that I think many people would understand me. :slight_smile:

Best wishes

Hey Teufelchen, Congratulations on your LCCI exam! How are you going to celebrate this achievement?
As for the spelling question - I think such institutions as LCCI are very well established which means on the one hand they have a solid basis of experiences and expertise - on the other hand it’s a huge hierachry with many posts and takes a long time to adapt to changes and keep up with the latest developments…

Thank you very much. I am sorry about the delate in replying. I saw your writing on Sunday and forgot to answer. I am sorry about that. :frowning:

Yesterday I had another exam in business management (in German) and today the last exam in Excel. Two more days school and than I have to think what I can do next. :slight_smile:

On Satuerday I bought a book for self studying (English Vocabulary in Use). It is difficult, but I will try to learn more English without a teacher. And there are some more Grammer Exercises wich I can do.

You see, Kievstar, I have some more ideas what I can do to improve my English. But I must look how I can practice it. It might be difficult without a teacher.

Have a nice day.

Hi Teufelchen,

I hope you will continue using our tests. Let english-test be your teacher! Good luck with your exams.

Best wishes

Alan

Dear Alan,

Yes, I don’t forget this side.

By the way I like this forum and I think I will be a regulary visitor.

Best regards

@Teufelchen:
Hi, I was just wondering which of those LCCI exams you took. As far as I know there are various English language certificates LCCI provides. Also, could you please explain how the German education system works, what are the requirements to get state funded training? Thanks.

I must explain that LCCI is not a part of our education. I am 38 and unemployed at the moment. I had the chance to learn it at the Euro-Schulen. That first.

But look at the answer to Andrea in the topic English Magazines. There I explained which exam I did.

Best regards