A dangerous <u>criminal</u> who was last <u>seen</u> having a drink in a small restaurant <u>is</u> being <u>searched</u> by the police

(*) criminal

(*) seen

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/preview/24197-a-dangerous-u-criminal-u-who-was-last-u-seen-u-having-a-drink-in-a-small-restaurant-u-is-u-being-u-searched-u-by-t
1 Like

The interesting thing about criminals is that society defines who is a criminal and who is not by creating laws. Hitler, for example, was not a criminal, even though he had millions of Jews industrially gassed, simply because the laws that were in force in Germany between 1933 and 1945 not only allowed him to do so, but required every decent German citizen to help solve the “Jewish question” and eliminate the “inferior races” on this planet.

Being an anarchist puts a tremendous amount of faith in people. It’s a belief that if governance and laws are removed, that most people will still act in a reasonable way.

Now the question is, what do you do with the people who don’t act in a reasonable way? Whatever the answer to that, it will resemble government and laws.

Then the question becomes, will the government and laws be reasonable?

Personally I put more faith in the people than in governments.

1 Like

I am not a proponent of anarchy. What I am trying to do is raise awareness that we as a society should review from time to time whether the current rules and laws are still efficient and up to date. For example, if we had never changed the laws, serfdom and slavery would still exist and women would not have the right to vote.

I wasn’t implying that you are an anarchist. I was implying that I am.

1 Like