A car, a TV and a fridge for everyone - good or bad?

It has been suggested that everyone in the world wants to own a car, a TV and a fridge. Do you think disadvantages of such a development outweigh advantages?

Answer:

In the past, when cities were not well-developed, cars, televisions and refrigerators were very important vehicle and appliances for people. It was believed that their advantages outweighed disadvantages. But as our world is being more and more developed, the situation is changing.

People want cars mostly because cars transport fast and easily. However, cars also cause air pollution and carbon dioxide emissions. As public transportation growing, and becoming more convenient and efficient, advantages of cars are getting smaller(question: which word is to describe that there are less and less advantages of cars). An example is Japan where most Japanese commuting by bus, train and rail lines instead of cars because public transportation in Japan saves time and money as more than cars do. Moreover, public transportation also save fuel, and reduce gasoline consumption, carbon footprint and congestion.

Television is an important form of communication, which brings news, educational resources, entertainment and public events directly into people’s homes. On the other hand, televisions bring inappropriate content too. There are governments using televisions to propagate its ideas for brainwash. Besides, television programmes are scheduled by television stations. Therefore audience have to watch a particular programme at a particular time without choice. For example, I had to sleep very late in order to watch foreign movies which start at 10 p.m. on The Movie Channel on every Saturday when I was 11(I think this sentence is too long. How can I change it into a better and shorter sentence?). However, television sets are losing ground to the internet. Many websites offer an incredible wide range of programmes which enables consumers to choose their favorite shows to watch at anytime(which means that I didn’t have to sleep late if I was watching movies online). In additional to this, people are less being brainwashed because of extensive information that is available on the internet.

Refrigerators keep food cold and fresh, store food and so food can be available when people need them(them or it?). But it also causes large power consumption. Nowadays, convenience and grocery stores are becoming more and more popular. Larger, newer convenience stores offer a board range of items, and are available twenty-four hours. When people need food, they can simply go out of their houses, walk few steps, and buy at convenience stores. If they would rather stay at home, they can order food online or by calling supermarkets. Few minutes later, ordered food will be delivered to their home by a delivery service company. Both ways can supply food to people without causing power consumption as much as the refrigerator does.

All things considered, I feel that disadvantages of such a development outweigh advantages.

I really think that I need to write shorter next time. Hope that I’ve explained well about my viewpoint.

TOEFL listening lectures: Which aspect of bee behavior does the professor mainly discuss?

It has been suggested that everyone in the world wants to own a car, a TV and a fridge. Do you think disadvantages of such a development outweigh advantages?

Answer:

In the past, when cities were not well-developed, cars, televisions and refrigerators were very important vehicle and appliances for people. It was believed that their advantages outweighed disadvantages. But as our world is /being/BECOMING/ more and more developed, the situation is changing.

People want cars mostly because cars transport /fast/QUICKLY/ and easily. However, cars also cause air pollution and carbon dioxide emissions. As public transportation /growing/ CONTINUES TO GROW/, and IS becoming more convenient and efficient, THE advantages of cars IS THAT THEY are getting smaller.

(question: which word is to describe that there are less and less advantages of cars). THEIR ADVANTAGES ARE BEING OVERTAKEN BY THEIR DISADVANTAGES.
THEY HAVE BECOME A HAZARD RATHER THAN AN ASSET.

An example is Japan where most Japanese TODAY ARE commuting by bus, train and rail lines instead of cars(,) because public transportation in Japan saves time and money as more than cars do. Moreover, public transportation also saveS fuel, and reduceS gasoline consumption, carbon footprint and congestion.

Television is an important form of communication, which brings news, educational resources, entertainment and public events directly into people’s homes. On the other hand, televisions bring inappropriate content too. There are governments using televisions to propagate THEIR ideas BY brainwashING.
Besides, television programmes are scheduled by television stations. Therefore audienceS have to watch a particular programme at a particular time without choice.
For example, I had to sleep very late in order to watch foreign movies which startED at 10 p.m. on The Movie Channel on every Saturday when I was ELEVEN.

(I think this sentence is too long. How can I change it into a better and shorter sentence?).

FOR EXAMPLE, I OFTEN WATCHED MOVIES LATE AT NIGHT WHEN I WAS YOUNGER.
AS A CONSEQUENCE I HAD TO SLEEP LONGER THE NEXT MORNING.

However, television sets are losing ground to the Internet. Many websites offer an incrediblY wide range of programmes which ENABLE consumers to choose their favorite shows to watch at any time(which means that I DO NOT have to sleep late if I was watching movies online). In additional to this, people are being brainwashed less because of extensive information that is available on the internet.

Refrigerators keep food cold and fresh, store food and so food can be available when people need them(them or it?). (IT) But it also /causes/CREATES/ large power /consumption/DEMAND/. Nowadays, convenience and grocery stores are becoming more and more popular. Larger, newer convenience stores offer a board range of items, and are available twenty-four hours. When people need food, they can simply go out of their houses, walk few steps, and buy at convenience stores. If they would rather stay at home, they can order food on-line or by calling supermarkets. A few minutes later, ordered food will be delivered to their home by a delivery service company. Both ways can supply food to people without causing power consumption as much as the refrigerator does.

All things considered, I feel that THE disadvantages of such a development outweigh advantages.
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
A most interesting and well written essay H2. You surprised me with this one. Well done.

Kitos. 8/10

I like the way H2 asks kitos those questions :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot!! :smiley: