When teachers assign projects on which students must work together the students learn much more effectively than when they are asked to work alone on projects

Nowadays team working is the inherent part of the society. Many believe that students should practice team working skills at schools as much as possible. However, some think that an immense number of introverted students cannot work efficiently as group members and prefer to work solely. From my point of view, working as a team on a project does not always lead to the best results because of some oblivious members inside the groups and time consumption.

First and foremost, there are always some members that slow down the team. When you want to do a project yourself, you plan everything and set strict timelines for your projects. You make yourself respect that timing and do your best to do every part of your assignment before your scheduled deadlines. On the other hand, when you work as a group member, some members who do not care about the project want to take the credits without raising a finger. In addition, they do not do their job on time, and someone else should take care of their responsibilities. Hence, they not only ruin the schedule but also, somebody else should burry their load. So, as you can see it is better to do the job yourself than work as a team.

Second, planning and arrangement are time-consuming. When your team wants to begin the project, you should assign different tasks to different members before doing anything. In addition, you have to set meetings to check the progress of individual tasks. Therefore, most of the time is consumed because of these meetings and talking about how to assign tasks rather than working on the projects. For instance, I had a project last semester, and we had to work as a team. It was a simple project, and we had two weeks to do the task. Nevertheless, we could not agree on how to assign the tasks, and five days out of our 14 days were used just for planning and dividing tasks into smaller parts. In the end, We neither handed in the project on time nor obtained the score. On the other hand, those who do the project all by themselves got the full score and even an extra bonus. Therefore, it is not a good approach to do every project as a team.

To sum up, some group members are not dedicated to the team project. They want others to work for them and take the benefit of others’ jobs. In addition, plenty of time is consumed for meeting and making a strategy about distributing the tasks rather than doing the project straightaway. Hence, I prefer to work by myself rather than work as a group member.

2 Likes

Nowadays, teamwork is an integral part of society. Many believe that students should practice teamwork as much as possible in school. However, some believe that a large number of introverted students cannot work efficiently in a group and prefer to work alone. In my opinion, working in a team on a project does not always produce the best results because some members of the group are inattentive and take too much time.

First of all, there are always some members who slow down the team. When you want to do a project by yourself, you plan everything and set strict timelines for your projects. You force yourself to meet those timelines and do your best to complete every part of the task before the scheduled deadline. On the other hand, when you work in a group, there are some members who don’t care about the project and want to take credit without lifting a finger. Also, they don’t get their work done on time, and someone else should take care of their tasks. So not only do they mess up the schedule, but someone else should carry their load. So you see, it’s better to do the work yourself than to work as a team.

Secondly, planning and arrangement are time-consuming. If your team wants to start the project, you should assign different tasks to each member before doing anything. You also need to schedule meetings to check the progress of each task. As a result, most of the time is spent on these meetings and discussing task assignments instead of working on the projects. For example, I had a project last semester where we had to work as a team. It was a simple project, and we had two weeks to complete the assignment. Still, we couldn’t agree on how to divide the tasks, and five days out of 14 were spent just planning and dividing the tasks into smaller parts. In the end, we neither handed in the project on time nor received the grade. On the other hand, those who did the project all by themselves received full marks and even an additional bonus. So, it is not a good approach to do every project as a team.

In summary, some group members are not committed to the team project. They want others to work for them and take advantage of each other’s work. Also, a lot of time is spent in meetings and strategizing how to distribute the tasks rather than doing the project right away. Therefore, I prefer to work alone rather than in a group.

1 Like