What is your mother tongue?

Arabic belongs to the Semitic and is the national language of about 250 million inhabitants of North Africa and the Arabian countries. Outside these areas, it is spoken by Arabs living in west and in some parts of North and South America, and Russia Central Asia. Since it is the language of the QURAN some limited knowledge of it exists throughout the Muslim world.

Hadeel

I can’t ask you to guess my mother tongue as I have written my place of living in my profile. It was really stupid of me :(.

Anyway, I think Darav is Turkish. I wanted say that she was Polish because there are 50mln people all around the world speaking my mother tongue.
For those who think English is difficult, I highly recommend to look at the Web site below and try to learn some Polish expressions ;).
staypoland.com/polish.htm

If Polish wasn’t my mother tongue, I would be the last person to learn it! But I know lots of people who managed.
As a Polish native speaker I want to say I like my language and I think it comparable in some way with English. English has a wide vocabulary range (all those idioms and phrasal verbs!), and Polish has a comparable number of grammar rules and … exceptions from them).
So if you start with Polish, and you don’t come from Slavonic countries, forget about grammar and learn structures.

Besides, we often use ‘OK’ and other English expressions every day (usually bad words). But seriously saying quite a big number of Polish people speak English well, young people in particular.

To finish the story: that was a funny thing for me to learn that we use a word ‘fart’ in a complete different meaning than the English. If you say in Polish ‘mam farta’ or ‘ co za fart’ (= I have a fart/ What a fart!) it means that you are lucky:).

Special greetings for Polish speakers on this forum :).

Darav, let me know if I guessed :wink:

Hi !

Do you speak Vietnamese? It’s my mother tongue.

About 30 million people speak my native language. Most of them live in northern Iran. We are lucky because our native language is very close to Turkish. We are able to speak with Turks without any problem. I like this language because it is very good for poetry and like English, it is rich with idioms.

Hello Ahmadov, are you from Azerbaijan?

Hello Andreana,

Yes, you are right. I am from Azerbaijan and our language is Azeri.

Please, tell us something about your language if you haven’t done so in this forum.

Thank you.

Hello Jamie (K),

I wonder if you could tell us a bit more about Chaldean or Assyrian. How come you can speak this archaic language, which I’d have thought would have fallen into disuse? (I need an ‘ashamed’ Emoticon here, but couldn’t find one)