Two meanings of "this isn't working"

It just occurred to me that the sentence “this isn’t working” has actually two meanings the first of which is obvious but do you see the second one as well?

2 Likes

Hi Torsten,
provided that I am allowed to add my humble take of 2 meanings:
#1 meaning: as the definite article is 3.person singular I assume it means a machine that presently doesn´t work at all
#2 meaning: it might mean that a machine or action does work but doesn´t have any outcome or at least not that one expected.
I am keen on knowing the solutions of others.

2 Likes

First meaning suggesting that your computer won’t switch on. Second meaning is the comment made about UK prime minister’s plan concerning Britain leaving the European Union - especially since she and her cabinet have scuttled off on holiday rather than staying at work and finding a solution.

3 Likes

Hi Alan, now you have pointed out a third meaning to the phrase. Here is a hint regarding the meaning I have in mind: ‘working’ is used here as a noun and not a verb.

2 Likes

Hi Torsten, now as you gave the hint one more interpretation comes to mind. It is likely to be spoken out by employers telling that he doesn´t consider the work his/her employees are doing an effort. Like in the saying:
“I wish I could spend my vacation like you do your work here!”:grin::grin:

2 Likes

Possibly you are saying that something isn’t a functioning model but merely an example of what it looks like - a replica?

2 Likes

lol, like a worker statue?

2 Likes

OK, here is the solution… ‘This isn’t working, it’s a labour of love, 24/7 - - a labour of love’. Now, what do you say)?

2 Likes

from the bottom of the heart :smile:

2 Likes

Hi Torsten,

I am liking muchly. Apologies for the v bad English!

2 Likes

Michael, I hope you are aware that the phrase ‘from the bottom of the heart’ is very unusual? What you probably mean is ‘from the bottom of my heart’?

2 Likes