Toefl study group

Hi all,
I am gonna take the toefl test next month , I wanna start study group to help each other , Anyone inerested?

TOEFL listening lectures: Which designer did not work at the Bauhaus?

2 Likes

Likewise , i’m thinking the exam to purchase next month . Well i’m here

1 Like

What did you have in mind? I would be happy to help.

Hi Luschen,Jeofergin, Thanks for reply
my suggestions are sharing new vocab and idioms that we learn every day,also different topics of writing and speaking sections, the most important thing commitment ,in other words i wanna be committed that I have to write what i achieve every day in my study because i am suffering from procrastination and i think this the best way to overcome this problem to be part of study group

1 Like

what do you think?

Sounds good - I think a good vocabulary lesson would be synonyms for “a lot” “A lot” sounds a little too informal to me for a TOEFL essay, especially when it is used a lot :wink: It is a great chance to show your extended vocabulary:

There are a lot of reasons.
There are many reasons.
There are numerous reasons.
There is a plenitude of reasons.
There is a plethora of reasons.
There are dozens of reasons.
There are various reasons.
There are innumerable reasons.
There are manifold reasons.
There are copious reasons.
There is an abundance of reasons.

Try using one of this profusion of terms in your next essay!

1 Like

I absolutely want to help you sarah. thanks to that, I m goıng to improve my language much more…

Hi, here is another “tip of the day”.

I think one of the most common errors I see in TOEFL essays is using “life” instead of “lives”. When you are talking about more than one person, make sure to say “lives” instead of “life”. Two people cannot share one life, everyone lives his own life. Look at the following examples and pick whether the correct word is life or lives:

Technology improves people’s life/lives.

We had the time of our life/lives.

I had never been so scared in all my life/lives.

Lack of exercise will harm their life/lives.

Everyone’s life/lives is/are different.

Hi Sarah and all,

That’s exactly what I want. I would like to update what I study everyday, and it should be compulsive and motivating.
I would like us to encourage each other in that way.
I need more than 100, preferably 110 in this 3 months.

Cheers,

H , i’m sure this topic will be beneficial . Can you mention some words which are both convenient for most topic and also advanced ?

Thank you for your proactivity ,sorry for late reply,I really apperciate it
I have a question for you ,I think (a lot of) is used for something that we cann’t count like sugar or tea so can it be syninym for (many)?

Thank you very much , cooperation is gonna save time and enrich our language

I am so happy that you find what you are searching for, I wanna achieve this goal also but I only have 5 weeks I hope I can score high

1 Like

Hi all,
I tried something new today to learn more vocabulary,I watched an episode of english series without any subtitles and I replay each scene many times and repeat the sentences even they are easy , I found that great because some times there are some expressions are very common and you know the meaning but you can’t use them like <I am very good at what i do, stop wasting my time, down there,>
New vocabulary that i heard for the first time , i tried to guess the spelling with google and it works like <audacity, it means boldness> i replayed the scene like 10 times to get this word and i bet i won’t forget it :))))

1-Technology improves people’s lives
2-We had the time of our life
3-I had never been so scared in all my life
4-Lack of exercise will harm their life
5-Everyone’s life is different
Is that right???

“A lot of” can be used for both countable and uncountable nouns, so it can be used for both “many” and “much”. “I have a lot of sugar.” “I have a lot of sugar packets.”

This may be why it is used so often by English learners, because it works for everything. Native speakers on the other hand are much more likely to use “many” or “much”, depending on the noun.

Sarah, for #2 and #4, the pronoun modifying life is plural, so it should be lives.

Hi Jeofergin, your post reminded me of another topic I wanted to address. In my opinion, TOEFL essays use the word “convenient” far too often. In my mind, convenient’s main meaning is to describe something physical which saves us time and makes our life easier - a nearby bus stop, a microwave oven, a fast food restaurant.

But for some reason, TOEFL writers are always using convenient in ways which sound odd to my native ear:

“words which are convenient for essays” - “useful” or “appropriate” would be better

“people move to cities for a more convenient life” - “easier” or “fulfilling” would be better

“Buying a car can help us be more convenient in moving.” - “be more effective in commuting”

“universities are more convenient than the private universities” - “cheaper” or “more affordable”

training machines which are convenient and safe - “effective”

it is likely that you have a rather ordinary and convenient life - “stress free”

There is no doubt that convenient conditions brought us by technology today “productive”

I will avoid multiple financial problems and have a more convenient life thanks to my high salary “fulfilling” or “stress free”

Convenient is usually ok for these situations, but is rarely the best word. Once again, this may be where English learners use a “utility word” instead of using the best word.

Hey guys… I’ve my TOEFL on 24th of this month… Can anyone have a voice chat with me and asses my speaking?

Hi Luschen I miss your tip today