The differences _______ the 3 RFPs were great which made the decision easier

The differences _______ the 3 RFPs were great which made the decision easier. (*) between (*) among (*) amid (*) within

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/753,the-differences-___-the-3-rfps-were-great-which-made-the-decision-easier/
2 Likes

The differences among the 3 RFPs were great which made the decision easier.

2 Likes

In my opinion Among is not correct.

Between is used when comparing one thing to another, or when choosing one or another. Between normally contrasts two things. This sentence contrasts three things, which makes it a little tricky. In my opinion it should still be Between because they are contrasted with each other.

Among refers to a group, but does not contrast them directly. It means a member of a group.

3 Likes

Excuse me NearlyNapping, where are you from?

1 Like

I’m from the US. Where are you from?

1 Like

You can learn more about NearlyNapping here:

1 Like

It is really a very strange language. NearlyNapping told that between is used for comparison even for more than two things but among is used when there is no comparison.
This is the reason for asking him about his country. I wanted to be sure that he is a native English speaker. Now, what is your opinion, Sir Torsten Daerr?

1 Like

This question is a little tricky. I’ve checked several sources and they do not agree. Some sources say that between should only be used with two things. Other sources give complex and confusing explanations.

If you are taking a test, the only thing that matters is what the test-giver thinks the answer is. The test-giver might not agree with me if they use a rigid rule that only considers how many things there are.

I like the way my own grammar book explains it. It starts with the traditional distinction of two vs more than two. Then it says:

“…the matter is in fact a little more complicated.”

Among is used in statements involving three or more persons or things when not every single person or thing is interacting with every other person or thing in the group: The principal tried to encourage discussion among the students in her school.

Between is used in statements involving only two persons or things, but it is also used in statements involving three or more persons or things when every single person or thing is interacting with every other person or ting in the group: She divides her time between New York, Paris, and Prague. In other words, if all members of the group interrelate either literally or figuratively on a one-on-one basis, between is the appropriate preposition.”

NearlyNapping told that between is used for comparison even for more than two things but among is used when there is no comparison.”

In the context of the original question it is a comparison since it’s asking about the differences. But it doesn’t have to be a comparison.

Also it should be NearlyNapping said that….
Using told instead of said is a common mistake for ESL people.

3 Likes

Hi, NearlyNapping

Thank you very much. Now, and with your help,I can underdtand the exact difference between “among” and" betwen".

About “said”, I forgot the direct and indirect speach rules.

Oh, my God! I have many and many English language mistakes.

Now, as an English native speaker, could you please help me to know the difference between “told me” and “said to me”? I red about them but I did not understand the exact difference between them.

Many thanks

2 Likes

According to Lady Andrea 's following link

I think among is the right answer of the first question which is

Because of that the items are not spicifically named.

2 Likes