The best piece of ..... someone gave me when the computer doesn't work was to turn the computer off, have a cup of coffee and then turn it on again

The best piece of ..... someone gave me when the computer doesn't work was to turn the computer off, have a cup of coffee and then turn it on again. (*) counsel (*) council (*) recommendation (*) advice

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://english.best/questions/11130,the-best-piece-of-___-someone-gave-me-when-the-computer-doesnt-work-was-to-turn-the-computer-off-have-a-cup-of-coffee-and-then-turn-it-on-again/
2 Likes

In many languages, such as German and Russian, the equivalent noun to ‘advice’ is countable, which makes it difficult for English learners to get used to the fact that ‘advice’ is not countable in English, so you will never hear someone say ‘please give me some advice’ or ‘give me some advises’. It’s always ‘a piece of advice’ or ‘a piece of information’.

2 Likes

Certainly not “give me some advices”, but “could you please give me some advice” is perfectly acceptable. It doesn’t mean several pieces of advice but, some amount. A “piece of advice” would probably be about a specific question.

Similarly:
“Could I have a piece of pie, please?"
“Could I have two pieces of pie, please?”
“Could I have some pie, please?”
Maybe not the best example, but I happen to be thinking about pie just now.

3 Likes

I wonder why the clause ‘when the computer doesn’t work’ is in the present tense while the other clauses are in the past.
As regards the answer, I’d choose ‘advice’ because piece also goes with advice which is a noncount noun.

3 Likes

Well, apparently the computer doesn’t work on a regular basis so the second part of the sentence is in the present simple.

3 Likes

This sentence is completely understandable. In some cases this sentence structure can be confusing.

Did they give you advice about the computer?
or
Does “when the computer doesn’t work” refer to the time period when they gave you the advice? The advice may or may not have been about the computer.

The best piece of advice someone gave me about a computer that doesn’t work…
This is more clear.

4 Likes

Grammatically, I’m unable to readily agree with you, Torsten.
It’s sort of journalistic practice to immediately relate things to the present while reporting :thinking:.

3 Likes

Let’s ask @Alan who is the author and creater of the sentence in question what he thinks about the issue.

2 Likes

I read as follows -

Someone ‘gave’ me the tip on one particular occasion and that advice ‘was to’ on that occasion. This advice then goes on to refer to the generality of and the practicality of ‘doesn’t work’ which is not related directly to the advice in the first place or that particular computer. That’s my reason for choosing the present tense (doesn’t work).

And incidentally the advice w o r k s well for any IT product or even the humble domestic vacuum cleaner, in my opinion.

3 Likes

The best piece of … someone gave me when the computer doesn’t work was to turn the computer off, have a cup of coffee and then turn it on again.
advice

2 Likes