Speak vs. talk

Please continue talking. It’s good to listen to you.
Aneeqa

Hi all,
I am having a good time to be here. But, what about if I scream or shout at you… Please don’t take it critically.

Regards
Noren

why you scream or shout about me? did I make any mistake?
2- Are my message letters written by Sansskrit language to decipher it ?
3-if I had done any mistake in my figurative language or in grammal let any one tell me immediately.
4- Why I am being understand atonce what others wrote although there are the weak language here, but easly I understand what they had written and didn’t say to any one ot write any comments by rough word or bother critical style.
5- the subject is very easy the difference between talk and speak and each word does the meaning of speech or a paticular property of the speech , someone said talk , another said speak e.g. The talks held between both side. Not the speak … or the speech.

Hi my dear friend, thank you though I didn’t get what you actually wanted to say. I had to decipher your message.
Anyway, thanks.
Noren

Good luck to all.

Hi Mr. Allen,

I have learned that there is a difference between speak and talk; however, it is not quite the same way that you explain it to me.
I knew that one can say that I need to speak with you, but in the other hand, one can say that I need to talk to you.
Meaning when one uses speak, he/ she has to say with, but when one uses talk, he/ she has to use to.
For instance , speak with/ talk to.

Is that true?

Hi
its clear now but what about ‘tell’

Hi Daphney,

‘Speak to/with/talk to/with’ - all are possible. Very generally ‘talk’ is more conversational than ‘speak’.

Alan

hi dear!!
i think… We often use talk to refer to the act of giving an informal lecture. Speak is used for more formal lectures or sermons.

I don’t think that’s what Daphney was getting at, Hussey, though you are right that an informal lecture is often called a talk.
What you define as a speak is actually a ‘speech’.

Hi all interested people
just to sum it up speak is singular and talk is plural I may speak alone but ween my friends come along we shall talk about it that means talk is between 2 or more people and speak is generally one person doing the job

That’s not correct though, as a group of people can be speaking together.

It was summed up ages ago. ‘Speak’ is more formal but in most cases you can use either.

What is the mening of “long for the time” in the first phrase of “speak vs talk " essay: Mothers long for the time when their child first start to speak …”
Marian

Mothers long for the time when their child first starts to speak.
It roughly means this:
Mothers wait eagerly for the time when their child first starts to speak.

I have started understanding. What can i say like, Jane is daughter of Zulu or Jane is a daughter to Zulu? Thank you in anticipation.

Hi Mutale,

Of those two you should say ‘Jane is the daughter of Zulu’, though more often that would be written/said as ‘Jane is Zulu’s daughter.’

Thank you for the explanation.

Thanks a lot mister Alan,the more i read your essays the better i speak english,however your essay about talk vs speak is fascinating ,since you elaborate about the contrast between them,besides you explained various manners of speakin and talking depending on the place or time in which they take place.
Thanks once again.

hi

Hi,

I think when you say for example( I’m talking with my son that’s friendly , what i can say it’s like conservation both of us listening to what opinion of each one that’s useful than i say i speak with my son ).

shosho