Reversed network effect: car vs smartphone

There are currently almost 8 billion people on this planet and the number is constantly rising. If every adult person on the planet buys a smartphone connected to the internet and starts using it, the entire system becomes more valuable as a whole as well as for every individual user. This is not the case with cars. The more people who start using a car the worse the traffic system gets.

2 Likes

Sir, do you mean that Sports utility vehicle (SUV) is suitable as a family car instead of personal cars to decrease the number of cars all over the world and so better traffic system?

2 Likes

No, I think Torsten is being sarcastic. Generally SUVs are even worse for the environment than smaller cars.

3 Likes

Ha ha ha , so it is a joke. I did believe him.

3 Likes

Yes, it is hard to tell when to believe Torsten! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Really. It is a surprise! Sir Torsten seems to be very serious. Although, I remember that joke “Della wants to take part in the conversation”. How is your very nice cat “Della” Sir Luschen?

2 Likes

When it comes to the car here are a couple of questions for us to consider: The only option to get a new CEC (combustion engine car) registered in the Chinese capital Beijing is to take part in a lottery. Why exactly do you think this is? Do you think it’s because the Chinese government doesn’t want to earn any money by collecting taxes from car owners?
Here is another one: Why has the Singaporean government imposed a limit on the maximum number of cars that can be registered in Singapore? Do you think because the Singaporean government is not interested in economic growth?

Why do you think there is a so called ‘congestion charge’ of £11.50 Londoners have to pay daily if they want to drive a vehicle within the charging zone between 07:00 and 18:00, Monday to Friday? And isn’t there a similar system in place in New York City?

What do you think will cities like Mumbai, New Delhi, Cairo, Kinshasa look like once every adult citizen there starts driving their own car? How many cars and trucks do you think our planet can cope with in total?

2 Likes

Mona, you were right - Torsten does seem very serious!

3 Likes

Hi Mona, I heard TJ say that his cat’s name is Bella :wink:

3 Likes

You are right, sir. It is a big problem all over the world.

2 Likes

Ha ha ha…, excuse me, sir. It is my very old age. I no longer hear well. Bella cat will forgive me.

3 Likes

The Indian cities you mentioned have already had this problem for the last 10 years. There needs to be a system that restricts and regulates the use of cars!

3 Likes

Restrictions and regulations will only work so much. VW has announced that India is their new playground now that the Chinese market is showing the first signs of saturation. The only solution is new technologies such as ride sharing systems the likes of DiDi and autonomous driving. Private car ownership as a means to facilitate mobility is no longer working.

3 Likes

In the countryside life is quiet. my village has no cars, no traffic system, no crowds. Rural areas as my village have only cultured (cultivated) lands, canals, the moon and the blue sky, and donkeys as a method of transportation. Everything is very simple. Pupils go to schools on there foot. When I was a child, I went to primary school. I’m not highly qualified. I remember that song my teacher taught me " This is the window…This is the door…This is the ceiling and the floor (is+ two separate singular subjects+ and in between them) or perhaps " These are the ceiling and the floor" (are+ two separate singular subjects+ and in between them). I did not remember well. It as enough for our simple life. It was enough for our simple life. Then, I cultivated the land with the farmers of my family. Is the rule of There (is /are)= this/these (is/are)?

2 Likes

You are right. Ride sharing is a possible solution. Popularization of public transport system like metro rail, monorail etc is another. Multilevel parking system, high cost parking fee, extension of public offices to suburban areas, urbanization of rural regions, expansion of urban limits etc would also go a long way in alleviating this problem.

Now, as regards VW, I don’t think the sway Maruti Suzuki holds and enjoys in the country can easily be overdone by any other manufacturer though they might find India a potential playground.

Personally, even at 72, I use my two-wheeler more than my four-wheeler or the PTS.

3 Likes

What is a PTS? I’ve googled the term but couldn’t find anything that makes sense.

2 Likes

I guess that PTS = Poly Transportation System!
or
PTS= Parking and Transportation service PTS - What does PTS stand for? The Free Dictionary

2 Likes

I’m so sorry, Torsten and Mona_Rmzi. It is just Public Transport System as we call it here.

2 Likes

Oh, my words! Public Transport System (PTS) is a very famous expression. I did not remember it at all. It is my very weak memory. I forgot everything. What can I do? It is Alzheimer’s.

2 Likes

Don’t worry; you aren’t too old to forget things due to Alzheimer’s.:laughing:

2 Likes