Pop songs

Ewes are all sheep :smiley:

Jamie

Every choral director I ever had told us that it was proper to soften the “r” when it’s at the end of the word and when it’s part of an -rs ending.

…such that instead of singing “carrr” we would sing “cah” or “cahr” (soft r).

Grade school, high school and UW Concert Choir – they all taught the “soft r” technique.

As for pop-music accents, many do seem to be a sort of “average” American accent.

Some young American rock bands make me gag with their valley-girl Cali accents (occents), but they still seem to be a minority.

Now… of course US Southern accents are featured in Country music.

Alex

Americans of different geographical areas can’t agree on the pronunciation of U. Check it out:

Upper Midwest: yoo

SoCal: yeh’oo or yeh’w

Southeastern US (but not new Orleans): yeeew

(racking my brain to represent the northeastern U… but I can’t decide how to do it)

If you had someone singing about ‘water’ with a South-Jersey/Philadelphia area accent, you might think they were singing about a lumberjack or a forest or something (i.e. the pronunciation of ‘water’ sounds like ‘wooder’). :lol:

Then, of course, there are all those people in London who end “U” with an “E” sound, so that “through” sounds like “thröee” and “do” sounds like “döee”.

yah

or the phantom “r” that comes at the end of a word normally ending in a vowel (like “a”)

That’s common in many parts of New England. My brother-in-law does not pronounce any final R’s – unless the word ends with an A sound. (idea = idear, Maria = Marieer, etc.) :lol:

yah

I always thought that they drop the R’s because it’s easier to enunciate the word when they have to stretch it, and sometimes in some melody, it sounds better, to my ears. Having trouble enunciating the R’s I have always noticed this and I did wonder why.

Imagine doing the la la la thing with an R.

La la la laa and Lar lar lar laarr.

The later is difficult right? And did not sound as harmonious without the R.

Here’s a well known guy from Connecticut performing one of my favourite songs of my adolescent years - what do you make of his accent?

Hi Ralf

This guy is not well-known to me, but if he’s really from Darien, Connecticut, I’d say he doesn’t use any “phantom Rs”. (I don’t think he used any words that might “qualify for” the phantom R while he was talking.) The “phantom R” is probably more commonly found in parts of Connecticut which are very close to Rhode Island. Darien is probably too far from RI for the phantom R pronunciation.

Hiya

Don’t know about the silent r thing, but there’s something about his acc that’s faintly reminiscent of Ulster or Scotland. Can’t put my finger on it though.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gr3nWzSiNAk

Hi Amy,

How come you have never heard of Moby? He is one of the most popular and successful American artists.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Where do we keep the expense vouchers?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Do you know the details of every single European artist, Torsten? Do you like every single type of music? :wink:

By the way, what about the last PM I sent you? You never responded. Would you mind having a look at the thread I mentioned there, too?
Thanks!

Maybe you know his music, but just haven’t connected a name to the songs. I’d say two of his biggest hits were porcleain and why does my heart….

Hi Ralf

That’s possible, I suppose. I hear lots of music on the radio, for example, and I often don’t know who the artist is.

Hi

Just found this cross over the pond duet between Montreal based Martha and Scots band Snow Patrol.
Martha is quiet BIG in the UK, just how big are snow patrol in the USn ow, since the theme tune “chasing cars” for Grey´s Anatomy?

http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPKDfBdxkMM&feature=related

Male/ female duets are hard to pull off I think. Okay it isn´t Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush, but it has that air of tender tunes.

What are your favorite duets?

Funny you should say that, because the word ‘fun’ is pronounced the same both sides of the pond (in standard AmE and BrE, that is). Maybe you’ve heard it said by Ralf? :stuck_out_tongue: