Please help me correct this essay. Thanks

Scientific research should be carried out and controlled by the governments rather than private companies. Do you agree or disagree?

People have different views about whether the authorities or private companies should bear the responsibility of undertaking scientific research. While some are in favour of scientific studies carried out by private corporations, I agree with the view that this should be done by governments.

There are two significant drawbacks resulting from private companies being allowed to conduct scientific research. The first one is that since the priority of private companies is to make profits, they are likely to manipulate results to achieve this goal. As a result, numerous projects funded by private sectors might be poorly and hurriedly conducted after inadequate trials . For example, a sedative drug called thalidomide, developed by a German company, caused irreversible damages to the fetus and thousands of children were born with severe malformations . Furthermore, the lack of the government’s close observation may lead to the likelihood of companies carrying out illegal research related to nuclear weapons or unethical human experimentation, which could put society as a whole in great danger .

In addition to the dangers of allowing private companies to conduct scientific studies mentioned above, I believe that companies should be responsible for this because of some following reasons. Perhaps the most significant one is that the authorities are able to conduct high – quality research to benefit society as a whole . Studies related to environmental issues like global warming or pollution are great examples. This is in contrast to private companies, who often carry research with the aim of gaining a competitive edge and maximizing their profits. What is more, governments in different countries can co – operate with others, and therefore might be able to conduct research on a large scale , which could lead to more accurate results.

In conclusion, I complete agree with the idea that governments should bear the sole responsibility for scientific research.

(302 words)

3 Likes

Since scientific research is such a vast field that requires lots of resources and input from a variety of contributors it conducted as a joint effort by private companies/start-ups/independent research groups and the government. The government’s role is primarily to organize, supervise, control and direct all scientific research activities across a nation as well as on an international level.

3 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. Could you please provide me some feedback in terms of grammar or vocabulary used in the paragraph?

3 Likes

I would rate your grammar and vocabulary skills at B2 so you are doing fine and you can improve your English even further by taking part in an active discussion on crucial global questions such as: Watch this and share it with anyone you know! (How fight COVID-19)

2 Likes