Nordhausen course

hi Torsten,

1. many thanks for the English for winners materials. I have downloaded them and and I 'll use it in the Nordhausen class. Many thanks.
  2. I have collected my teaching materials for the financial system discussions from very different sources I have mentioned roughly at the end of the GFS - Global financial system excel table (e.g.: IMF, IBRD, Krugman, Greenspan, Bernanke, Friedman, Galbraith , Samuelson, etc.pp. …)
    Have a relaxing weekend.
    Best regards Uli.

Hi Uli,

Here is a run down of the two days:

• review of vocabulary and phrases they learned with you (everyone had to create a list with at least 10 keywords, then they worked in pairs dictating their words to each other using the NATO alphabet, then every learner dictated a word to the group, which they took turns pronouncing and we finally created a short sample sentences with those words)

• review of the simple past (I dictated four groups of words:
    a) subjects (my best friend, our new colleague, his mother in law, etc.)
    b) verbs (listen to MP3 files, see a new movie, meet somebody at the local pub, create my CV, etc.)
    c) objects (with my friends, a former classmate, our Chinese customers, etc.)
    d) time (last month, three years ago, last Friday, at the weekend, in 2004, earlier this morning, etc.)

Then I had everyone create sentences using the clues I had given them and asked them to add their own sentences. Then we practiced the simple past with those sentences.

TOEIC Bridge vocabulary review – I described words that occurred in the TOEIC Bridge book and they had to guess those words. In addition we went through p21 (daily routines). I left photocopies of the TOEIC Bridge book for you on the desk so you might want to use them with the group. We also started on the “Listening Comprehension Skill Building Activities” and worked through pp 26 to 33.

More grammar: Murphy pp 15 (BE verb), 20/21 (present simple).

Today we started on ‘Intermediate Commercial Correspondence’ and covered pp 4-7. In the afternoon I gave them the following project assignment: ‘English words and phrases in the German retail and service industry’. Purpose: To analyze how widespread English expressions and words are in German retail outlets. Please help the group create an electronic file which should contain the following information:

1. word or phrase (i.e. 'The Spirit of Georgia)
  2. meaning or definition in English (‘the symbol or backbone of the US state Georgia’ etc.)
  3. product and/or company (soft drink, Coca Cola Germany)
  4. German translation (der Geist des Bundesstaates Georgia)
  5. additional information/notes (i.e. I was not aware of that product, I’m surprised they chose that name, etc)

Also, please continue working with Business Basics and go through all the exercises and play all the audio tracks. Have the group create word lists that contain new vocabulary they find in the book.

In addition, please prepare the Schachtbau tour and give the group a specific assignment. For example, tell them to create a glossary with words and expressions used by the company and its customers. Or have them create a chart that shows the organizational structure of the company including the parent company and its subsidaries in Germany, the US and Asia. At any rate the assignment should be clearly defined so the result can be measured. Please help them create an electronic file as the result of a team effort.

Once you have reviewed the vocabulary and grammar structures we’ve covered so far, please help the newcomers get familiar with our online tests. Yvonne and Kathrin haven’t created their user accounts yet so please read this with them: english-test.net/community/3 … _the_forum

Then you might want to complete one of Alan’s Response tests:
Responses 1
Responses 2
Responses 3
Responses 4

Before they take the tests, they should browse through the Explanations. Here is an example: might be very healthy vs. must be very healthy

Please try to show them how they can ask questions on the forum. We give them so much information every day and they sometimes might be overwhelmed. That’s why it’s vital that we encourage them to learn how to ask questions. There quite a few learners from all around the world who ask hundreds of vocabulary and grammar questions on the forum every day. If every of our Nordhausen students asks just one question per day they will be able to speed up their learning process tremendously.

Since we have a beamer and laptops in Nordhausen, I highly recommend you incorporate Money as Debt by Paul Grignon into our program since we can practice a variety of skills and gain new information about an important issue.

In addition, we should introduce Money, Banking and the Federal Reserve to the group. This will require proper preparation and we should watch the film in small portions of 2 to 3 minutes and create word lists, glossaries and scripts that contain the vocabulary used in the film.

Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: I bet the shipment will be late again.[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten and Richard,
we have followed Torsten’s kind advice (vocabulary lists, grammar, ABC exercises, spelling, telephoning, booking hotel rooms and flight reservation…).

In addition to this we are preparing the visit to the memorial place of the Nazi concentration camp Mittelbau Dora near Nordhausen.

Application letter for a “work placement” / practical work in a regional company to stimulate the international communication (defining new clients, customers, competitors, stake holders…) in these enterprises.

We used the beamer for better understanding the text presentation of regional institutions especially the Schachtbau company.

Tomorrow we’ll manage some tests and continue with our business letters and telephoning.
Best regards,
Uli

Hi Torsten and Richard,

Here is a short summary of what we did on Wednesday and Thursday:

• explaining new words and refreshing old words in English/vocabulary review (we have created individual cards with eight words on each and handed one card to each participant. The person had to choose the ‘easiest’ word on her/his card and explain it to the group in English. All the words I wrote on the cards we had covered before - they either occurred in the Business Basics books, in How to Prepare for the TOEIC Bridge Exam (Paperback) or somehow during the program.). Please find here some of these words:
    apply – application
    internship
    “Spirit of Georgia”
    advertisement
    progress
    success
    imagine – imaginable – unimaginable
    manage – manager
    direct – director
    assemble – assembler
    board – board of directors – full board
    shares – share holder company
    CEO - Central executive officer
    bed and breakfast
    arrival
    departure etc.

• review of the present continuous

• review of the verbs to do , to have , to be

• brainstorming commonly used verbs

• creating a company profile

• listening to BBC news in preparation for the TOEIC listening tests

• working with the “synonym finder” that almost all participants have bought via the Amazon network
  • preparing the working visit to the memorial site of the Lager Dora Mittelbau Nordhausen ( concen-tration camp to assemble the V2 weapons at the end of the second world war …)

• We have continued to do some exercises in Business Basics ( Commercial letter, situation at an Airport, arrival and departure departments, duty free areas, …)

• Writing an Application for an Internship in a regional company to offer our assistance to improve the English communication with new clients, customers, stakeholders

• Preparing some questions to Richard for better understanding each other ( What do you mean by “….” ?

• Could you spell this word, please.

• What do you understand by this expression ?

• Please explain us a bit about your home country. Etc. )

• The group is happy to meet Richard as a native speaker and to learn from him and his experience as an English teacher.

• We (Mr Biedler, Mrs Thomas and me ) have discussed with the Vice Chancellor of the FHS Nordhausen ( University of Applied Sciences ) how to invite the FHS Students to the TOEIC test at the 2nd December 2008.
    All the best for you.
    Best regards Uli

Hi Uli,

Tomorrow please review the present simple and present continuous and continue completing the exercises in Business Basics, especially the audio recordings. Also, we started to create an Excel spreadsheet containing the English expressions the group collected last week. Please help the group finish the file and send it everyone via email. In addition, please take the Responses 5 Test. Please go through the test together with the group reading and translating every singe expression and looking at the ‘Explanation Links’.
My Richard will taking over on Thursday so we have to come up for a solution for Wednesday.
Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Newspaper executive announcing extension of deadlines due to bad weather[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten and Richard,
today we took some TOEIC tests,
sent some project work results to the forum for inviting some help (English Brands in German Retail trade and Service markets, Draft Application letter to a regional company to offer our cooperation skills in the English language communication system, irregular verbs list etc.)
We did some listening exercises via the Internet and a review of new words:
to translate literally
chairman
CEO
steal
almost
average
cause
reason
unimaginable
launch
access
dispatch
throughout
charge
election
communicate
change now
country first etc.
Richard is very welcome in Nordhausen. We are awaiting his arrival.
Best wishes
Uli

Hi Uli,

Thanks a lot for doing such an excellent job with the Nordhausen folks. It’s great that you have started the job hunting process and I’m sure we’ll be able to keep up momentum. Lars posted your letter of application earlier today and here is Alan’s version: Letter of Application (workplacement/internship)

You and Richard might also help the group register with job and recruiting sites such as Monster and StepStone using the English language interface to get an idea of the language and generate new leads.

Yes, Richard is going to call you tomorrow and maybe he’ll meet you at Schachtbau in the afternoon. By the way, I’ve noticed that quite a number of our trainers might benefit this project: Netbooks for English teachers and trainers

Please let me know what you think and give my best regards to all group members and Richard.

Cheers,
Torsten
PS: By the time you read this, the most powerful nation in the world will have elected their new President whose name is very likely to have three vowels ;-).[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: New sports club official gives encouraging introductory speech to players[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten, Alan and Richard,

Here is a short summary of what we did on Tuesday and Wednesday in Nordhausen:

Grammar exercises:

• formation of comparative & superlative
  • repetition of plural formation
  • Questions & Negations
  • review of the present continuous
  • explaining words in English/vocabulary review (I created according to your kind advice 8 cards with 7 words on each and handed one card to each participant. The person had to choose the ‘easiest’ word on his/her card and explain it to the group in English.
  • brainstorming, mind mapping commonly used verbs
  • listening comprehension (We used the Business Basics CD and I played the track 38 with questions about a presentation about online - internet marketing ……).
    We listened to the special English edition of VOA about the US elections and Obama`s winning situation….
    We have practised some telephone training and
    We have compiled a word list that we e-mailed to you:
    • Online sale
    • New distribution channel
    • Seller
    • Penetration
    • Accountant
    • Human Resource Department
    • Research & Development
    • Well equipped
    • Responsible
    • Employees
    • Employ
    • Employer
    • Recruitment
    • Advertisement
    • Introduction
    • Public relation department etc.

We are happy that Alan helped us to improve our daft application letter for an internship in a regional company.
Richard is very welcome in Nordhausen.
Lars – the only Gentleman in the very cooperative Nordhausen group - (mobile 0170 469 39 79) will pick up Richard tomorrow Thursday morning at 07:15 at the “Avena”Hotel to take him with his car to the BZ Schachtbau seminar room.
Best regards
Uli

Hello Torsten and Uli

Thanks again for helping me set up here.

Today we continued with the theme of Telephone Language and Things to do focusing on requests with can and could; object pronouns; would; verb + be. It was lucky the materials I prepared were in line with Uli’s last lesson. I used Talk time 1 for these themes.
We then focused on Change (jobs, goals) with World Link 1.
I did not use Business Basics today as I just got it now but I will get back to it tomorrow.

They are a really nice group and I am looking forward to working with them.

Hi Richard,

Many thanks for keeping us up to date – it’s great to hear that everything worked out so well. Yes, the group is very dynamic and eager to learn. I really appreciate your telling us what materials you are using so we can maintain consistency and momentum.

If possible, please remind the group to take at least one of the tests on our site. For example, you can retake the following test: Responses 1.

You might want to read the sentences together with the group and discuss the possible answer option. Also, please use the ‘Click for Explanation’ links next to each question so the group can learn how to ask questions.

Have fun,
Torsten
PS: You might want to log in as ‘Richard’ next time.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: A company executive opens a PR team meeting to discuss critical situation[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

On Friday we continued our work with the Telephone Language and Things to Do theme using Talk Time 1 Unit 12 theme.
Grammar focus concentrated on requests with can, could and would & object pronouns.

We did a lot of practice with using the future tense (one of the main differences between speaking English and German) when practicing weekly scheduling and discussing future plans.

We then continued with the practice with the future tense using Jobs and Change Theme, using World Link 1, unit 7 which we had started at the end of the first day (Thursday).
Language focus on future with going to and expressing surprise with sarcasm.

New expressions introduced included: ‘I’m not kidding’, ‘no way’, ‘once’, ‘super’ and ‘yeah right, and it will snow in July too’.

We reviewed the differences between Start and Begin and did some practice alphabet pronunciation and the students spelled their names out loud. We also reviewed proper usage of it’s and its.

The group wrote two on-line tests and two unit tests with me.

We then moved on to Business Basics 4.3 (Describing a Company).
We reviewed titles, such as:
Managing Director
Personal Assistant
Sales Representative
Training Officer
Purchasing Manager
Laboratory Technician and
Quality Control Manager.

The group told me they feel that sometimes too many different areas are covered in one day and they can’t remember everything. I said it is normal for courses with so many hours a day but that I understand how it could be a lot to take in. I said I would try to concentrate on 1 or 2 themes a day along with some testing. They seem to be fine working with a native speaker and they are speaking a lot more English and I can see the confidence rising in all of them.

I did over prepare for my first day (as is usual) and it took longer to get thru what I began than I had expected. I am back to Business Basics (which is very good) and I plan to supplement that material two to three times a week with some interesting ones I brought (Talk Time and World Link which is a video course the students quite like) but only where the grammar focus is linked and the themes are work and business related. I am getting used to the internet forum now the way that the courses can run in so many different places while staying linked on-line. The English-test resources are quite extensive too.

On Monday, we will be reviewing several topics and themes from last week such as
‘it’s and its’, ‘start and begin’, pronouncing the alphabet, ‘listen and hear’ and creating a personal profile.

We will then finish Unit 4.3 from Business Basics Describing a Company and then move on to Talk Time 2, Unit 1 Jobs and Daily Activities which will focus on different types of jobs and daily activities with a grammar focus on Wh questions with the simple past of be.

On Tuesday, I will review the present simple, present continuous and future with going to tenses with them and then review and do the Talk Time unit test from Jobs & Daily Activities and then begin with Business Basics unit 5 Current Activities which will compare the present simple vs. the present continuous. If we finish this unit we will take a look at World Link 2 the World of Work – Jobs and Interviews.

I will be arriving at the Avena at 22:45 and staying until Friday again. Thanks again Torsten and Uli for helping to make my first arrival go so smoothly.

I will have an update again on Tuesday but I don’t have a lap top or a car so my week-day reports may be as little shorter as I have to arrive and leave with the ss.

Dear Richard,

Many thanks for your excellent job – you have a very professional approach and it’s obvious the group is greatly benefiting from all your experience and ideas. It is especially good that you are sharing your resources and techniques with us so the group sees that we work as a team and we can keep consistency and momentum.

In addition to the materials you mentioned, you might want to take a look at the lessons here on forum as well as on our site. Here are some examples:
possessive ‘s’
personal profile
simple present I
simple present II

Please let me know what you think.
Have a good weekend,
Torsten
PS: You might also be interested in obtaining a Netbook: NetBooks for English Language Trainers[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Promoting a theme park[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

On Monday, we reviewed several topics and themes from last week such as
‘it’s and its’, ‘start and begin’, pronouncing the alphabet, ‘listen and hear’ and creating a personal profile. We reviewed some of our scheduling practise including having the students send me an appointment cancellation text in English. We created a personal profile to go on-line, but the students did not feel comfortable putting their information on-line.

We then finished Unit 4.3 from Business Basics Describing a Company and moved on to Talk Time 2, Unit 1 Jobs and Daily Activities which focused on different types of jobs and daily activities with a grammar focus on Wh questions with the simple past of be.

On Tuesday, we reviewed the present simple and then advanced into present continuous and with them using Business Basics Unit 5.2 company Developments finishing that part of the unit. Afterwards we did a little extra present continuous review with Talk Time unit 2 Current Activities. All was well, but it took much longer then I had planned s two students became quite frustrated with the concept of Present Continuous. The other students seemed to have it so it was a hard class for everyone. In the end we did more practice and I think it helped everyone.

On Wednesday, we began with a review of Present Continuous and then comparing Pres C with Present Simple. We agreed that I will post the students results of the tests here so then we then re-did the Must-Have To test and the results were Susanne 9/10; Grit 9/10; Katrin 10/10; Dorina 8/10; Yvonne 6/10; Lars 6/10; Diana 7/10. Katarina had a job interview today but I remember her score from yesterday was 10/10.
I noticed some degree of resistance to the forum from the start; however, when I asked them to make a personal profile the ss thought that it was too public. Then today I realised that hadn’t logged on to write their tests yesterday. I told them it helps to prepare for the TOEIC but they had already decided their stance regarding the issue and talked to Frau Thomas. So… I am sorry about that but we’ll have to work around it. They were quite adamant that it was not part of their contract to do this – it has obviously been a simmering issue for some time. Uli – was this an issue for you?
Other than that there are no problems to speak of.

We did the unit 2 test from Talk Time 2 which was on the use of present continuous. The scores were Susanne 10/10; Grit 9/10; Katrin 10/10; Dorina 9/10; Yvonne 8/10; Lars 10/10; Diana 10/10.

We then started World Link 2 World of Work Unit 9 focusing on the language of Jobs and Interviews.
I received my copy of Inside the New TOEIC from Amazon yesterday and I will be reviewing the test structure along with sample question with them every day.

Frau Thomas has also suggested we do a small daytrip to a local mine next week.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your great work – I’ve talked to the management too and everyone is very happy with the way you have been teaching the group. As for the progress reports and/or the forum, of course everyone in the group is free in their choice as to what part of the website they want or don’t want to use. The online tests and the forum are an additional free resource the group can use thanks to the fact that the school has been providing the group with laptops and unlimited Internet access.

It’s great to hear you have purchased the New TOEIC Prep book as it will help you to expose the group to authentic TOEIC test questions.

Please keep me posted and up to date.
Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing flight changes at an airport[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten,

Thanks. So far today we finished Jobs & Current Activities from Talk Time 2 which practices present continuous and object pronouns.
Afterwards we completed another Present Simple test (I looked around for some Present Continuous tests but I can’t find any). I used some of my own yesterday anyway. If you do have some please send me the link. The results for the present continuous 3 test were Katriona 9/10; Diane 8/10; Lars 7/10; Yvonne 7/10; Dorina 9/10; Katrin 9/10; Grit 9/10 & Susanne 8/10.

We have also finished up The World of Work - The Big Interview which introduces the Present Perfect with for and since and this after. This was followed by a written test out of 25. The results were Katarina 24/25; Diane 23/25; Lars 21/25; Yvonne 21.5/25; Dorina 24.5/25; Katrin 23.5/25; Grit 23.5/25 & Susanne 23.5/25.

This afternoon we will also finish Unit 5 from Business Basic: Personal Developments with descriptive adjectives and then we will focus on the TOEIC test structure at the end of the day.

I am thinking of renting an apartment for a little more room and comfort. It costs about the same as the Avena but that means I would pay myself of course. It gets cheaper the longer it is rented so I am wondering if I am here until just the end of he month or until the end of the course? It’s ok if I’m not but I need to know ASAP as I want to rent this place from Sunday. The link is here: appart-zentral-nordhausen.de/

The class decided with Frau Thomas that the daytrip will be to Sondershausen to visit the mines and I will lead the tour in English for them.

We will have one mre test today and I will post the results tomorrow.

Richard

Hi Richard,

Yes please do go ahead and book the room as you will be working with the Nordhausen group until the end of the course. As for the present continuous, here are some tests that contain present continuous questions:
progressive tenses
tenses
tenses 2

You might also want to read this with your students: believe as a stative verb

Thanks a lot for your great work.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing special employee discounts on leisure services[YSaerTTEW443543]

Good morning Torsten,

I booked the room so all is fine there – thanks for your help. I am looking forward to a little more space and a kitchen.

I began TOEIC review with the ss yesterday and I have a couple of questions:

1. Is the listening part done by a live examiner or with a CD recording and, does it play right thru or are there pauses in between the questions?
  2. If it is a recording, are the speakers all North American, mixed or all British? The students are hoping for North American accents so that it is more like my accent - that said, being Canadian and Irish I have a mid-Atlantic accent and I feel they are coming along very well with listening. I don’t have the grade my language very much any more - they can follow me at my natural speed which is slightly faster than the average North American accent (because I’ve lived in Ireland where they speak a little faster than in North America) and they are doing very well on all the listening tests I give them.

The other thing is, if it is possible, the students would prefer to take the test as late as they can - Dec. 10 or 11 preferably. They feel it is an important test and they will do better the longer they have to prepare for it. It is not so important for them to have the certificates all at the same time. What do you think?

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your update. Up until 2007 ETS used only Northern American speakers for the listening comprehension part of the TOEIC. However, since the business world is becoming more and more international, ETS decided to use a variety of speakers including ESL speakers in their exams. So it would be great if you could use authentic audio resources that contain different English accents. Many people from Central Germany are quite familiar with British accents since they learned English for 5 to 6 years at school where they were exposed to British English.

I think it’s best if you start using the exercises in your TOEIC prep book. It also contains two full length TOEIC tests along with the audio part. Please prepare the group for a full length TOEIC mock test so they get a better of what the test is all about. Yes, the listening comprehension part of the TOEIC test always comes from a CD, not a live examiner.

As for postponing the exam date, I suggest December 9 which I have already proposed to Frau Thomas.

Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Investment advice[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten

We began this morning with a comprehension test from Talk Time two focusing on listening and reading with yes, no questions in the Simple Present, Present Continuous, Object pronouns the results were Katarina 20/20; Diane 18/20; Lars 16/20; Yvonne 16/20; Dorina 20/20; Katrin 20/20; Grit 20/20 & Susanne 20/20.
This morning we will finished Unit 5 from Business Basics which we didn’t finish yesterday as we spent a lot of time discussing the TOEIC test: Personal Developments with descriptive adjectives and then we will focus on the TOEIC test structure at the end of the day.

We did role playing for using language for Talk Time 2 extension activity for interviews and Business Basic Unit 5.3 for business trips focusing on the use of past simple and present continuous.

We finished with examples from the TOEIC exam Part 1 Photographs. The students would like to have a mock test the week before – preferably Monday the 1st.

Lars was away at an interview today and Katrin left early (also for an interview) so in the last hour we did tests written and on-line in present continuous. After that we began Unit 6 from Business Basics Dates and Arrangements using present continuous for the future focusing on the vocabulary of dates and ordinal numbers.

On Monday we will continue with and finsh Unit 6 and then began using Talk Time 2 Jobs and Skills Unit 12 using can and know how to for describing ability and could for ability in the past. The vocabulary focuses on abilities and talents needed for different jobs.

Talk to you next week.

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for doing such a terrific job with the group – I think you are perfectly on track with your preparation program. It’s good that you have started using the TOEIC test exercises while continuing working with Business Basics and doing Talk Time role play activities and comprehension/grammar tests. That way the students see that there is consistency as well as dynamics in their program. Yes of course you can give the students the TOEIC mock test whenever you feel is appropriate.

Have a good weekend and talk to you soon.
Best regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Speaker introduction[YSaerTTEW443543]