New project: How to promote tourist services?

Hi Torsten!

I?m a bit ashamed to acknowledge that I?ve been rarely in Saxony and my experiences about the Wartburg and the saltmine in Merkers and the sole bath in Bad Salzungen I have from a wellness holiday I had in 2001! :oops:

But neverforless let me know more about your plans!

Michael

Hello again my dear friends of online tourism marketing. It’s been a while since we last talked about how to promote the tourist services of Central Germany.

My friend Mike who works at the Chamber of Commerce and Industry has been contacting various tourist organizations and facilities and he always mentions our website and this forum thread in particular.

One of the attractions in the Sangerhausen area is the so called Rosarium which is the largest rose collection in Europe. Interestingly enough, at this point there is only one website that provides some information about this unique place in English and it is run by Paul Barden. He is a rose enthusiast who received a grant from ‘The Uncommon Rose’, a US based rose catalog business.

So, the Sangerhausen Rosarium is now on our list of prospective candidates when it comes to creating website content.

There is a number of things we could do. For example, we could write an essay or short story that contains rose idioms such as everything is coming up roses. Why not include favourite songs that contained expressions with roses such as '… I never promised you a rose garden
– you probably know what song I’m talking about. At any rate, there is so much potential in this project and as soon as Mr. Niebergall introduces us to our first clients our efforts will pay off.

Any thoughts on this?
Have a rosy Sunday,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Asking for a quote on printer cartridges[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Torsten!

If you think about a brainstorming first, here is my first point:

The name of a hard rock band: [color=violet]Guns ?n Roses

There’s a beautiful popular song about roses that goes back to World War I, Roses of Picardy. It was written by British officer Frederick E. Weatherley (music by Haydn Wood) in 1916.

[color=darkblue]Roses of Picardy

She is watching by the poplars
Colinette with the sea blue eyes
She is watching and longing and waiting
Where the long white roadway lies
And a song stirs in the silence
As the wind in the boughs above
She listens and starts and trembles
'Tis the first little song of love

Roses are shining in Picardy
In the hush of the silver dew
Roses are flowering in Picardy
But there’s never a rose like you
And the roses will die with the summer time
And our roads may be far apart
But there’s one rose that dies not in Picardy
'Tis the rose that I keep in my heart

And the years fly on forever
Til the shadows veil their sighs
But he loves to hold her little hand
And look in her sea blue eyes.
And he sees the rose by the poplars
Where they met in the bygone years
For the first little song of the roses
Is the last little song she hears

She is watching by the poplars
Colinette with the sea blue eyes
She is watching and longing and waiting
Where the long white roadway lies
And a song stirs in the silence
As the wind in the boughs above
She listens and starts and trembles
'Tis the first little song of love.

Hi Torsten,

It’s got to be Bill Shakespeare:

Alan

Hi Conchita, Michael and Alan,

Many thanks for your interesting ideas. Yes, I think especially Shakespeare and roses make a good match. Incidentally, I wonder whether the word rosarium is commonly used in English. I know it is a Latin word but maybe rose collection or rosary are more appropriate to describe such a facility?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: Talking about TV set prices[YSaerTTEW443543]

The term rose garden is more commonly used in English, isn’t it? A rosary, however, is a string of beads used when saying prayers :slight_smile: ! Apparently, the word rosary originates from rosarius meaning a garland or bouquet of roses.

Returning to our initial question, would you agree with me that the Sangerhausen Rosarium could be much better promoted through the web? I mean, there are so many things we (whoever that might be) could do such as

• run a 'Rose Blog'
  • write essays about how Shakespeare used roses in his works
  • describe how roses are grown
  • compile a collection of stories, poems and books that deal with roses
  • tell potential visitors how the facility (the Rosarium) came into being
  • inform readers about the origin of the word Rosarium
  • show all the products that can be made of roses
  • organize a rose content (every user can send in photos and stories)
  • describe all the other sights in and around Sangerhausen
  • portray the people behind the Rosarium
  • and a lot more...

I’m asking this question because somebody simply has to start taking some of the steps outlined above. Why not share this beauty with people from all around the world? The Sangerhausen/Harz region has an excellent infrastructure but it seems to me that the people there don’t want to open up to the world around them. I can’t get rid of the impression that they are doing their best to hide behind their beautiful mountains in inside the walls of their ancient castles.
    Any ideas?[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: A woman is sending a bulk order to India[YSaerTTEW443543]