Meaning of 'sick in one's hair'

Hello,
I watched 1 episode-part 1 of ‘Father and Son’ crime drama on BBC Learning English and heard a strange phase from a woman talking to a man: ‘You’ve got… is that sick in your hair?’ The man: ‘Probably…. Where?’ (wiping the frontal hairline with a hankerchief). The woman: ‘Right…’
I found out that ‘sick hair’ can mean the way your hair looks after lying in bed (Urban Dictionary). But his hair was ponytailed and smoothly licked.
Another meaning of ‘sick’ is impressive, especially because of being fashionable or attractive (Macmillan Dictionary). The phrase from the video didn’t sound like a compliment.
Please could you explain the meaning of the phrase? You can hear it on BBC Learning English - Course: Drama: Father and Son / Unit 1 / Session 1 / Activity 1 (starting at 00:20)

2 Likes

Hi Irina, in British English ‘sick’ can be a noun meaning ‘vomit’ (рвота). So, the question would translate as Это рвота в твоих волосах?

Let’s see what @Alan has to say about this phrase.

2 Likes

Hi Torsten, thank you for your comment.
Yes, let’s offer @Alan to join this topic.

2 Likes

Yes, Torsten is of course quite right. It is a noun but it does sound a bit odd without knowing the actual context… As an adjective it can refer to poor health as in - She is very sick as she caught covid 19 last week.
Hope that helps.

2 Likes

It may be listed as BrE, but I’ve certainly heard it. Not a phrase you’re likely to forget.

2 Likes

Thank you very much, Alan!

1 Like

It reminds me of the idiom “lost my lunch”:

2 Likes