meaning of heavy-hitting

I was merely pointing out the use of ‘aggravate’. I thought only situations could be ‘aggravated’. Ot am I being oldfashioned?

A

1 Like

Oxford American Dictionary:

aggravate
1 make (a problem, injury, or offense) worse or more serious : military action would only aggravate the situation.
2 informal annoy or exasperate (someone), esp. persistently : [as adj. ] (aggravating) she found him thoroughly aggravating and unprofessional.

American Heritage
2 To rouse to exasperation or anger; provoke. See Synonyms at annoy.

Merriam-Webster
3 a : to rouse to displeasure or anger by usually persistent and often petty goading

1 Like

Oh er - must learn American, clearly.

A

1 Like

I just heard the verb ‘skedaddle’ for the first time in the first episode of the second season of Ozark (“Reparations”).

1 Like

A fine word.

Btw, the word “seceshers” on the web page probably refers to secessionists.

1 Like

I use the word skedaddle sometimes. Although I don’t know if I’ve seen it written before. I would have guessed a different spelling. Skedaddle is very informal.

As for the discussion about the use of “cowboy” I have not heard most of the uses mentioned. When I hear cowboy it means cowboy and not much else - although it might be a real cowboy or the modern fake cowboy culture.

A related word is maverick. A maverick is someone who is somewhat of a rebel. They go their own way and do things in an unconventional way.

2 Likes