Many emails or much email

Hello, are you already celebrating New Year?
Maybe this is my last question in 2004. What is correct, many emails or much email?

Good question. I would say both versions are correct because mail is a mass noun like money or air. It’s a bit different with email though. You can say ‘I’ve received many email messages’ or ‘many emails’.
Or you can say ‘I’ve received much email’.

TOEFL listening lectures: A lecture from a social sciences class (2)

These days it’s pretty common to use the word “email” as a countable noun, right?

Both are correct.

Hey guys I wouldn’t have thought you’d remember my question which I asked almost 4 years ago and I’m honoured that you picked it up again! Interestingly enough I asked that question on a Friday and now you are responding on a Saturday again!

Tofu,
Why are you dragging up threads from 2004 to state something which you know is correct?

Hi Bev, I think there is nothing wrong with bringing up threads that were posted a while ago because there a lot of users on our forum will benefit from this information.

Let me know what you think.
Many thanks,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: Why does the young man have grapes for lunch?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I agree Torsten, but given recent posts, I wondered about Tofu’s motives in doing so here, particularly as I suspect Tofu was fully aware that it is… after all, you had originally replied:

Hi Bev, I think Tofu wants a lot of attention and we as a community can adjust to her demands by either responding to or ignoring her requests.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between a student and an HR interviewer[YSaerTTEW443543]

My question here is not whether it’s correct to use “email” as a countable noun as well as a uncountable noun; however, it is whether it’s pretty common to use the word “email” as a countable noun.

Does “different with something” have the same meaning as “different from something”? I’ve never used the phrases in the same sense.

It wouldn’t be used in the same sense here either.

I think most of Tofu’s requests are genuine - or at least have been up to this point.
My concern is that some of the posts made yesterday (including this one) do not seem to be as genuine and Tofu is now reacting by living up to the label given to him by others.

That is, of course, just my opinion.

Thank you, B.

[size=150]It’s a bit different [color=red]with email though.[/size]
Should [color=red]with have been “from”?

No.

It’s a bit difficult with (regard to) email though.

‘From’ wouldn’t make sense.

“With regard to” means “concerning,” doesn’t it?

Yes.
However it’s not my intention to use the phrase ‘with regard to’. I added the parenthesis to explain the meaning of ‘with’ (i.e. regarding) in this phrase.

Thank you, B.