Jena University Graduates

Hello!

Thursday,November 4th, day 9, Jena.

-The morning activity started with a short review.
-We discussed the job hunting activities the members of the group carried out so far and the situations they faced during interviews.
-For the next activity (I hope I did the right thing), I used Napoleon Hill’s ’ Think and Grow Rich - Going the Extra Mile’ video which I found on YouTube. The trainees made a list of keywords while listening to the audio recording and tried to explain the principle.
-I used an additional text to illustrate the principle( The extra mile despite early deprivation:A REMARKABLE WOMAN - the story of Martha Matilda Harper)
-This was made into a dictogloss activity
-Based on the examples, each member of the group had to prepare a convincing 2 minute presentation in order to illustrate this success principle in their own experience
-Advertising. A brief historical approach. The language of advertising. Information v.s. persuasion. Advertising as means of communication.
-They had to choose the most suitable method of advertising for the businesses they created with Ian (give arguments for their choice), create a logo, a slogan and write the ad proper according to the alternative they chose. (We kept the groups and we added one more business,created by Christin and Stefan-who are actually ready to start their own business). The outcome was absolutely brilliant,and at this point,I would like to ask if it is OK to take some pictures of these great projects tomorrow.
-The other groups asked questions and made suggestions.
-The trainees were given some apparently impossible to sell products and they needed to come up with the best marketing strategies possible
-We reviewed some negotiating strategies.

Dear Torsten,I am facing a technical problem. I downloaded the test for tomorrow,but I cannot open the zip file. Please resend it in the format you sent the previous test. Is it OK to give the test before the lunch break and send you the results?

I will read the book,Torsten. The problem is that there aren’t too many books in English at the Erfurt Library. Is there any online version of the book?

Hi Torsten and Ian!

Day 10,November 5th,Jena.

Before the final test, we did a review using the exercises in ‘In Company’ ,p.88-117. I selected 1-2 ex. for each verb tense/ adjectives/ adverbs,etc.

TOEIC Test (2 hours).

After the lunch break, we had a dictogloss activity and the TNs learnt about a new Success Principle ,‘Definiteness of Purpose’. Discussions followed and all of them decided to read the book.

Tns had to prepare for the final task. I was this time the young graduate looking for a job and they were the counselors. Each trainee was ‘specialized’ in a certain field. This activity’s outcome was a structured revision of all the main topics studied during the course.

Conclusions and a final piece of advice.