Is this proper use of the word "respect"?

Have you tried paying for answers?

Molly, give it up! You don’t have to harass absolutely EVERYBODY!

Do you pronounce it “huh-RASS” or “Harris”?

The speaker in your example catches the fish for food; he kills it quickly, in order to minimise its suffering; and he presents the whole process as an example of “respect” for the fish.

Now consider the opposite image. Sometimes people are prosecuted for putting animals in microwaves, using them as live footballs, etc. In these instances, animals are killed for pleasure, and their suffering is maximised.

Now the latter case might be called an example of “disrespect”, because the animal has been treated as an object. In the original example, however, the fact that suffering has been minimised demonstrates that the speaker does not regard the animal as merely an object. The comparison might therefore justify the use of the word “respect”, in the speaker’s mind.

MrP

Have you ever actually answered a question correctly for free?

Hey MrP, thanx…though fish don’t really suffer. Doesn’t really matter, because that’s a whole different discussion.

Hike!

As a footnote: I think the problem is that the meaning of “respect” tends to reflect the beliefs of the speaker; it isn’t a relatively “neutral” word like “chair” or “prosthesis” or “metal”. If someone tells me his speedy dispatching of the fish implies “respect” on his part, I can’t reasonably assess the truth of the statement.

All the best,

MrP

That’s right, you’d have to have belief, disbelief or disconcern.

Such a long thread!
I like animals (including other creatures like fish or spiders). But we are more predators, than herbivores. In many cultures people try to kill animals quickly (for them not to suffer). What they feel in this case? Pity, compassion, empathy…? It depends. I don’t think people who kill animals are very sensitive.

I think, we all know, everybody of us :slight_smile: , except of course the part ‘by a hook in the mouth’.

But we’ve all been to the dentist. :wink:

That would be interesting! I’m looking forward to it, because you are one of the most interesting figures in the forum. :slight_smile:

I’m also quite private. Give them an inch…

For example, since I mentioned I’m from Nigeria, little insults have been posted regarding language abilities and intelligence of African people. If you want to know more about me, and are willing to share info about yourself, you can PM me.

You are quite the drama queen. :wink:

Where have insults been posted?

MrP

Erm, on this website. Where else?