"In the bus" or "on the bus"

jesus, “on” the bus, “on” the train, and “on” the xxx, these are vessels or vehicles belonging to public transporting utility… of course, public transporting utility is usually “BIG”…

however, the most significant aspect for choosing “on” originally may be the following point:

the main floor of these “vessels” or “vehicles” is “high” comparing to the waiting passengers standing point before being aboard. people need to “step on the stairs” to get “up” to the main floor. when did people invent “bus”? actually, in the “old” days, people should have invented “get up the bus” instead, hahaha… please also note that people use “off the xxx” to indicate a passenger’s departure away from the vessel or vehicle.

next, let me present you a scenario as the following description.

if there is a very large jeep or hummer that is also very tall with a high floor above the ground,
then what phrase do you use to describe the “action or state of being aboard” such vehicle?

getting “on” the jeep or “in” the hummer? which one? or, what? or, there is some other phrase?

ldoceonline.com/dictionary/ride_1
[color=red]to travel in a bus, car, or other vehicle that you are not driving:

So as I understand, if it’s a public transport we always say ON, like on the bus. And if it is private vehicle we use IN, like in the car.

Not quite, Royd, it has to do with the size of the vehicle rather than whether it is public or private.
A taxi is public transport, but you would travel in a taxi, not on it!

Welcome to the forums. :slight_smile:

everybody says,i m in the bus.Because when we get on bus,we have to raise ourselves it is high.

Hi Alafanist,

I don’t quite follow what you are trying to say, but here most of the time we get on a bus, we travel on a bus (or by bus), we ride on a bus, we go somewhere on a bus, we arrive on a bus.
‘In a bus’ is used occasionally, but nowhere near as often as ‘on a bus’.

Really good information. Thanks to all coaches for explaining in a nice way.

Thanks so much.

‘In a bus’ means exactly what it says - inside a bus. Where are you? I am in an office. Where are you sitting? I’m sitting in a bus.

Alan

Mr.Alan
I do not understand “stative verbs and action verbs”
Can you explain ?
Thank you in advance .

Hi Waves,

‘Stative’ verbs don’t usually take the progressive form because the verb itself describes a state which lasts all the time as with verbs like ‘know’ ‘understand’ and so on. The other verbs which are the opposite of stative verbs are called ‘dynamic’ because they express an action.

Alan