How to learn English?

It would be acceptable if it was followed by a noun as in “my two-cent paper clip”.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: When will the sale start?[YSaerTTEW443543]

got it! thanks very much, Torsten.

1 Like

Dear Torsten,

Thank you for your help. My name is Simin. A 35 year-old married woman from Iran. It’ my fist message to you.
If you want to know my way of learning english, I would like to say that I am very interested in reading english short stories. As a habbit I underline any sentences I think it is practical or interesting and I can use it. from the mail I get on your behalf or any text I receive I do the same, take some sentences and write them in a note book and whenever I have time, I look at them and automatically memorise them. for example from your latest mail I selected “what is the latest with you” or “it’s quite sufficiant”. I did not see such sentences before so they are interesting for me and from now on I will use them whenever necessary. I think it is an interesting way of learning english. isn’t it? Let me know please.

1 Like

Dear Simin,

Many thanks for joining our forum. It’s great to see you like our email English course and I absolutely agree with you – copying and memorizing new phrases you come across when you read a text is a highly effective learning method. In addition, you might want to listen to English audio resources on a daily basis. Do you have access to English language TV or radio on Iran?

Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: We’re not going to play today, are we?[YSaerTTEW443543]

I am working a women organization. It is women resource center. I am coordinator of this organization. Research, campaign and advocacy are our main activities. I have to organize seminar, meeting, rally, awareness program. For the research I have to go out of the city and some time out of the country. After organizing this program I have to write report. I feel that I have to know good English.
I was followed Torsten Daerr guide line. It is very interesting. I am practicing the English test.
I try to practice ones a day. Some time ties or tree time. I have feeling confidents that I have to learn better English. But my problem is grammar. I am mistaking it.
I try to lessen BBC news. I don’t understand it is enough for me. I try to read English materials not daily newspaper. Maybe it is better if I read daily newspaper. But I thought I read regularly English e-mail course letter. Is it is enough to read for me?
Thanks
sayyida

1 Like

Hello torsen,thanks sooooo much for that question.i think the easiest way i should learn English is by consistent reading of articles and other write-ups.

1 Like

Hi Sayyida,

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts and experiences with us. I remember reading your first forum message which really impressed me. It is great to see you are so enthusiastic about improving your English as I believe motivation is the main ingredient to success.

You say that work for a women organization. Can you please tell me whether you communicate in English at work too? I’m asking because it’s best if you somehow integrate English into your daily job routine. For example, the first thing you do in the morning should be to switch on an English radio or TV channel. You say that you listen to the BBC so you are on the right track.

Now your success depends on how much time you spend listening every day and on how you listen. When you hear the news, you can try to pick up a phrase and write it down as exactly as possible. This doesn’t have to happen instantly. Let’s say you hear a certain phrase over and over again.

At first you might not understand the phrase at all but since you hear it several times, you start recognizing it. At some point this phrase will be in your head even if you don’t want it. That’s the time when you should try to write it down. Or even better: Post the phrase here on the forum so we can discuss it.

Let me know what you think.
Happy listening,
Torsten
PS: As for your reading activities, yes it’s great if you read all the emails we send you.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Did Jonah do this credit report?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hi Kenpetro,

Welcome to english-test.net and many thanks for joining our forum. Yes, reading is an excellent activity that helps you learn new information and vocabulary. In addition to reading, audio materials are essential too. How much time do you spend listening to English media?

Talk to you soon,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Why hasn’t Gina gotten back to me yet?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello Torsen,thanks so much for your reply,As for the question you asked. I do hardly get the chance for that.

1 Like

Hi Kenpetro,

So you are saying that it’s difficult for you to get access to English language media? What about the Internet – you can listen to podcasts and other audio recordings.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Whose responsibility is customer service?[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello everybody,
Now, I would like to share my experience in learning foreign language (FL).
First of all, I want to say “thanks” to english-test.net – especially Mr. Tostern who sent a lots of exciting topics and exercises for me! Thanks again!
And next is my experience in learning FL. It’s very very very very simple. I did and now still doing.
Let’s collect some complete sentences that you want to talk in FL. Listen carefully how to pronounce each word in this sentences. After that, practice pronounce again and again correctly.
Each day, try to learn by hard a complete sentence. Apply this in every situations. Talk and talk every ways, every where if you can. Don’t mind wrong! But try to avoid wrong! hehe…
[i]One day you get one sentence. Two day you get two sentences. And a month you get 30 sentences. And a year you get 365 sentences. A BIG NUMBER OF SENTENCES! If you can use 365 sentences fluently, you will become a PRO. CAN YOU?

[/i]Thanks for reading!
If you come to Vietnam, let’s contact with me follow this homepage marketingneu.com
Pham Cong Toan
(male - Vietnamese - researcher
Face: good looking - Very young. hehe…
Years old: very old. hichic…)
NICE TO MAKE FRIEND WITH ALL!

1 Like

Hello torsen, that’s not what i meant, i mean at my work place,i’m always busy.it’s only during the break time, that i normally join the English class,but the time is not enough for me.But i will be trying even with that little time ,till i get what i want.

1 Like

Hi Kenperto,

Most people say that they don’t have enough time to learn English because they think they can only English by attending classes. What you need is exposure to spoken English on a daily basis. “Exposure” means you feed your subconscious mind with spoken English through your ears. That’s something the vast majority of English learners usually don’t do. Here is what you need to do. When you get up in the morning, the first you do is switch on an English language TV or radio channel. Don’t try to understand everything you hear – do whatever you have to do and keep the audio playing in the background. Do the same on your way to work: Listen to an audio book or a podcast – any piece of recording in English. When you come home, switch the TV or radio channel on again. You don’t need more time to learn English. You just have to start changing your habits.

Let me know what you think.
Regards,
Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, talks: Giving information about medical insurance plans[YSaerTTEW443543]

Hello everybody,
All of know well that the best way to learn English is to read more, listen more and speak more. But the question is …

Do we need to read topics or listen to audible English in all the fields? for example: policy, low or even medication?

Once I tried to read an English book about agriculture, you can’t imagine how difficult it was to understand many idiomatic terms in it. I had to use the dictionary many times just to be able to understand the meanings of some insects which hurt the crops. The same thing with the commercial, medical and many other kinds of books. On the other side, the social life doesn’t need all of that to use English in the normal life.

Nola

1 Like

Hi everybody! This is a very exciting topic for us to discuss. In my opinion, the best way to improve English is living in an English-speaking country. Otherwise, if we don’t have that opportunity, we can make friends with native speakers. Through communication, we can learn and make progress very fast. That’s why I participate in this forum. I would be very happy and honoured to be your friend! Please contact me by e-mail: daohuong08@gmail.com. Hope to talk to you soon!

1 Like

Dear Torsten
Thanks to give me the opertunity to write in this forum. I am a working woman. So I have lot of work before go to office. In my busy time I try to listing at list one to two hour a day. So, in the morning, when I got up first I try to on my TV and listing the BBC news. I don’t understand all the time. Some time I understood to saw the picture, some time by the word and some time by the issues. In the morning before left the bed I have think by English what I will do today. And same do when I go to the bad. That time I thought what have done whole day.
I have try to write what I listened to day. But I am so surprised I can’t write a single word. I was very up sad. But I manage myself. So I write what particular word and issue I listened. Now I am happy.
Thanks
Sayyida

1 Like

Hi Torsten,

Many thanks for lessons, in my view learning of English depends on more studying and hardworking, who studies more gets more, but its very necessary to learn the phonetic symbols in order to pronounce the word correctly even without listening to audio files, the second thing is listening to news, actually I cant understand all words of the English speaker, the third is practicing, the forth is writing the words without mistakes and maybe the electronic devices facilitate this task but the mistakes appear on hand writing, finally it depends on the ability of the student himself and the studying resources that he has such as good books, dictionaries, etc…

Best regards
Moh

1 Like

Hi Torsten,

First of all I would like to thank you for all your efforts and time you have put in order to improve our English skills.

I think people can learn English faster and most effectively through continuous and consistent practice, especially speaking. Furthermore, they need also to read English stories, Magazines in addition to the listening either through radio or watching movies.

However, my instructor told me one day at the university you will not be able to learn English and be fluent (strong) unless you go to England or USA and stay there for at least one year. Frankly speaking I’m close to agree with him, because I read a lot of English magazines and try to leran vocabularies and the structure of sentences but I find myself weak in front of those who are studying in USA or England. And by time I always forget the vocabularies that I learnt previously.

I believe, The more you talk, the more sharp your tongue is.

Thank you once again

1 Like

Hi Yousef,

You are absolutely right in what you’re saying, but your written command of the English language is rather impressive :wink:

1 Like

Hello Ralf
Could you tell me how to make a quotation of a member’s speech cause I can’t do it :?:

Thank you