How popular is the term 'server' meaning 'waiter/waitress'?

For me, the first thing that comes to mind when hearing or reading the word ‘server’ is a computer connected to a network such as the internet. However, as it turns out ‘server’ is also is used especially in the US when referring to waiters and waitresses. So, how popular is the term ‘server’ to you? When do you use it and in which context?

1 Like

It is very popular in the US. In fact, I think it is fairly politically incorrect to use waiter/waitress here. I have to admit that when I picture “waiter” in my mind I see a high-class restaurant with the waiter wearing a fancy suit and pouring wine, while “waitress” brings to mind a cheap diner with a woman wearing a stained dress taking my order for a large coffee and eggs over easy. So “server” is more egalitarian.

2 Likes

Funny, I just asked my 13 year old son what you call someone who brings you food at a restaurant. He said “waiter” - I said what if it is a woman? and he replied, who said a waiter has to be a man? So maybe that is your answer from the next generation?

2 Likes

But why does your son use ‘waiter’ instead of ‘waitress’ for a female waiter?

I agree with Torsten about thinking of computing first with ‘server’ but the other thought that comes to my mind is using the word to describe a priest’s lay assistant who is a sort of dogsbody helping with different tasks at the altar.

Alan

2 Likes

I think because in English the male version usually ends up being the default. We no longer use the words doctress, teacheress, authoress, mayoress, manageress, executrix, directrice, all of which used to refer to women who performed various jobs.

2 Likes

Luschen has a good point. We commonly just use the male version of a word as default. Like doctor or waiter.
I personally can’t think of a time that I use server for waiters/waitresses though. I’ve always used waiter or waitress. When I think of server, I too think of an internet server.
However, perhaps it could be a personal preference. As I have also heard people use the word server for waiter/waitress.

2 Likes

Interestingly enough, the same question had already been asked on this very forum more than 8 years ago: server vs waiter

1 Like