How can we call them PRESENT or PAST participles?

You are most welcome. Let’s learn mutually. Thank you.

Dear T. H., can you please stop using the quote function every time you post a reply? There is no need to quote the post you immediately respond to. Quoting the same message again makes reading the entire thread very difficult. Many thanks, Torsten[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC short conversations: An employee asks a colleague to help with getting the new printer to work[YSaerTTEW443543]

Why not, Torsten? Thank you.

Hî, T.H

Can I offhandedly say that ONLY auxiliary verbs are finite verbs?

Please check the following for me:

-He looked at the FINISHED goods intensely.

Despite FINISHED is being used as an adjective here, but can I called it a past participle as well?
Last but not the least, can I say all ADJECTIVES ending in ING, EN and ED are as well called participles?.

Thanks.

Can I offhandedly say that ONLY auxiliary verbs are finite verbs?
NO. You cannot call auxiliary verbs FINITE (unless they are used as MAIN verbs), for they are only supporting verbs. See the examples below:

He is a driver. (‘is’ is a main verb and it is FINITE with present tense)
He is driving. (‘is’ is an auxiliary verb and it carries the present tense)
(‘is driving’ together becomes the FINITE verb here)

BE, HAVE and DO are primary verbs capable of functioning as both MAIN and AUXILIARY verbs. You will see this aspect discussed in some detail in one of my earlier posts.

He looked at the FINISHED goods intensely. (This would mean that he looked intensely at the goods which were finished).

Despite FINISHED being used as an adjective here, can I call it a past participle as well?
Yes, it functions as a passive participial adjective.

Last but not the least, can I say all (such) ADJECTIVES ending in ING, EN and ED are as well called participles?.
In my opinion, YES.

Hi, T.H. thanks.
But few questions left.
-He is DRIVING.
I Suppose DRIVING could be named non-finite because it is a PARTICIPLE. I need your opinion.

Besides, I have noticed that, PAST PARTICIPLES are not only non-finite but finite also. Like the following:
-He killed him.
Even though KILLED is finite verb(the main verb), but it is also a PAST PARTICIPLE and hence could be called NON-FINITE.

Am I right here?

Thanks Sir.

-He is DRIVING.
I suppose DRIVING could be named non-finite because it is a PARTICIPLE. I need your opinion. YES.

Besides, I have noticed that PAST PARTICIPLES are not only non-finite but finite also. Like the following: NO.
-He killed him. (Here you find the second form of the verb used: kill-killed-killed. But the third form is the en-form, which is not only a Passive Perfective Participle but also a non-finite.

Even though KILLED is finite verb (the main verb), but it is also a PAST PARTICIPLE and hence could be called (used as) NON-FINITE.
Am I right here? Yes, to the extent modified.[/b]

Lest I forget.

I have learnt that (participles, gerunds) are NON-FINITE, but I cannot distinguish between the PRESENT PARTICIPLES and the GERUNDS when present in sentences.

Please I need some assistance for clarification.

Thanks.

It’s a good question. Well, now pay your attention to the following illustration:

(1) Smoking is injurious to health.
(2) He entered the room smoking.

In (1) ‘smoking’ is a gerund (verbal noun)
In (2) ‘smoking’ is a participle (active progressive participle or, as you call, the ‘present participle’)

-He killed him. (Here you find the second form of the verb used: kill-killed-killed. But the third form is the en-form, which is not only a Passive Perfective Participle but also a non-finite.

T.H please watch here:

(1)Kill----(2)killed----(3)killed.
Know I have learned the name given to (3)form as (passive perfect participle).
Then can I learn from you the actual respective names given to the (first(1)) and the (second(2)) VERBS?

Thanks.

kill/kills - killed - killed

The first is said to be in the present and the second in the past. Both are finite verbs as they carry tenses. They are VERBS (Finite).

e.g.

They kill snakes/He kills snakes = Present Simple
They/He killed many snakes = Past Simple

Note: A verbal in the present or past simple form will always contain only one component. Alternatively you can say that it is a single word.

See you later; Good Night!

Hi, T.H. thanks for your time spent.
I have digested your kind explications.

But please mark the below passives for me:
-Does the police catch the thief?
Passive: (Is the thief caught by the police)?

-Does your mother pick you after every day school?
Passive:(Are you picked by your mother every day after school).

-Mike does the work.
Passive: (the work is done by Mike).

Am I correct with the passives provided?

Thank you sir!

-Does your mother pick you every day after school?
(Are you pîcked by your mother every day after school?).

I made a typo with the first post. SORRY!

:slight_smile:

Am I correct with the passives provided?

You are correct except for the following slight modification made by me in one of your sentences (syntactically, but not grammatically).

-Does your mother pick you after every day school?

Does your mother pick you after school every day?
Are you picked by your mother after school every day?

Thank you very much T.H

But see below.

-God bless.
Why is it’s that it not (God blesses)
I ask this because, GOD is a singular noun and must take a singular verb(blesses)
What the noun(God) disagrees with the (bless) verb?

I think it’s short for ‘May God bless’ (you/us). Let’s hope that the moderators/others will come to our rescue, if what I say is not correct.

Do the police catch the thief?

Does your mother pick you up every day after school?

I think this is explained as a subjunctive, meaning something like “May God bless you”, as THL says.

Do the police catch the thief?

Yes, that’s the correct form. As I was considering the the passive form more, I overlooked it; sorry. Words like police, cattle and people are always plural.

As regards ‘pick up’ I think it doesn’t matter much if you drop up, because I have heard even the native speakers use it with and without ‘up’.

However, I would like the subtle difference between pick and pick up in this case illustrated. Thank you, Dozy.

In this context
Does you mother pick you… = does your mother choose you. That clearly does not work.
The phrasal very ‘pick up’ must be used, even though it is separated by ‘you’.

Thanks a lot, Bev. I hope Ebenezer will take note of it.