Hello, I'm new to this Forum and here to help šŸ˜ƒ

Tim has become a very good friend of mine and also still lives here in Hastings.
I canā€™t remember a teacher whoā€™d lived in Turkey, but next time I see Tim, Iā€™ll ask him.
Where do you live?

3 Likes

I live in Leipzig, have you ever heard of this place?

2 Likes

Ah, Eastern Germany. I have to admit that itā€™s not a part of Germany that I have visited. Should I ?:smiley:

2 Likes

Yes, absolutely. The eastern part of Germany is changing fast, especially Leipzig is constantly developing in the right direction with people from all over the world coming together and creating something new.

3 Likes

Sounds interesting Iā€™ll have to visit. Hopefully travel will become easier next year :crossed_fingers: . Iā€™ll put it on a list of possibles :grinning:.

Back to work now, as I must finish this weekā€™s YT lesson :movie_camera:

2 Likes

Hi Liz. Iā€™m new one here too. Iā€™m from Vietnam, and i want to practice my English with native speaker. Do you have any advice to me? Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi Kerry, welcome to our forum. Can you please tell us a little more about yourself? When did you start English and why?

1 Like

Hi Kerry. Sorry for the delay in replying, been busy creating teaching videos :grinning: :woman_student:.

Here is a link to my Phonemic chart for British English RP

Hope itā€™s useful

Liz

P.S. If you want help with pronunciation of the phonemes, then I have a series of videos that will help you. Just ask and Iā€™ll let you have the links or just visit my channel :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi Tam
I reckon I get asked this question every week on my YT channel and the answer differs depending on your skill set and circumstances.
Can you tell me where you live as I donā€™t want to assume it is Vietnam. Also what languages are you proficient in and if you work, what is your job. Feel free to PM this info as I appreciate it is sensitive.

Liz

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I can also communicate in Vietnamese and Japanese. Iā€™ve lived in Japan for four years and now live in Ho Chi Minh City, where Iā€™d like to improve my English skills in preparation for a potential work opportunity.

3 Likes

Hi
Can you explain this sentence for me plz
Which is incorrect? Young children may benefit more from ā€˜bumpingā€™ their heads 'and 'putting various objects in their mouths than they ā€˜will fromā€™ ā€˜startingā€™ at eye-catching cartoons.

2 Likes

That is not an incorrect statement apart from one spelling mistake ā€˜startingā€™ should be staring. The author is making a comparison, suggesting that young children will learn far more from normal young child behaviour (i.e. bumping heads and putting objects in their mouths) than they would from staring at cartoons.

2 Likes

Hi Tam

Itā€™s great that you have two languages, Vietnamese and Japanese, as this will make finding a native English speaker quite easy. An idea that I know has worked for other students, is to find a native English speaker who wants to learn Vietnamese and Japanese and agree to teach each other on a reciprocal basis.

OK in principle, but where do I find such a person? Well, I have 3 ideas for you:-

1. Facebook groups - find groups of English speakers learning Vietnamese and Japanese. Join and say you want to practise with a native English speaker in exchange for help with Vietnamese or Japanese.

2. YouTube channels - find channels teaching Vietnamese and Japanese to English speakers and in the comments say you want to practise with a native English speaker in exchange for help with Vietnamese or Japanese. Post across as many channels as you can to improve your chances of finding someone.

3. The last idea and one I have seen used successfully, but is more admin work, is to create a WhatsApp group for English natives wanting to learn Vietnamese or Japanese and organise a weekly live teaching session on Google Meet or similar. You advertise the group using the two methods above. This is more work though, so maybe try the first two first.

Hope that is useful and if you want a quick assessment of your pronunciation, just send me a short audio clip. You can contact me via my YT channel ā€˜English with Lizā€™. :grinning: :woman_student:

2 Likes

My teacher said that the incorrectness was and. And she corrected it that using or instead of and.

2 Likes

You can use either ā€˜orā€™ or ā€˜andā€™ in that sentence. :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just watched a video on your channel, great videos. Iā€™m a visual learner :rofl:

3 Likes

Hi Bruceli
Thank you for watching. Please do suggest any English topics you need help with and maybe I will be able to make a video for you :grinning: :woman_student:

2 Likes

Thatā€™s fantastic!!
I sincerely appreciate your input, Liz.
I subscribed to your YouTube channel, which has been quite beneficial to me.
What is the best way for me to send you a brief recording of my pronunciation?

3 Likes

Thanks for subscribing Tam and glad the lessons are beneficial :grinning: . You can send via the email on my YT channel.

2 Likes

Hi Kerry

Happy New Year.

Here is a link to my channel https://bit.ly/2K6UXeR

You may be interested to know that my plan for 2022 is to organise my channel as a complete phonetics course that is free to all. It frustrates me that so many YouTube channels just lead people to paid courses, but not everyone can afford that, so I want to create an accessible resource for everyone around the world. :smiley:

Liz

3 Likes