Hear vs listen

It is amazing to know how I erred to say that [color=blue]‘to’ is an infinitive. Thanks Mr. Torsten for correcting me and realizing the fact that listen can also be used without the follow-up of ‘to’, the preposition.

In Q.3 why we didn’t say can you hear.

Hi,Torsten!I’ve received my next lesson,thanks a lot.
We can hear sounds around us unconsciously,using our sense of hearing,but we should strain ourselves if we want to listen to something.Am I right?
And.please, explain what do you mean writing,“When are you going to log on to our forum”?
And one more question.Is it possible to communicate with some English learners on Skype?
Best wishes.
Mila

Hi all!
Thanks a lot Mr.Thorsten for your email lesson number-9.

Example : (Hear vs listen)
Can you hear your young neighbour?
Yes, I can hear her and hers music very audibly.
That girl is listening the clasical music tonight.
Does she listen the clasical music every night?
She is not listening the clasical music every night.
Is that girl listening the clasical music tonight?
No, she usually listens the clasical music at the weekend.
When, I can hear both, her and hers music.

Please correct me
best wishes
Alora :roll:

I think that “to listen” is an action that we must pay attention. We are ready to welcome coming affects. EX: “I am listening to your answer”.
“To hear” is used when an action is coming naturally without our awakeness.
I only can explain above. I think Mr Tosten have had an answer very clearly in his first explain.
I wish you understand that.

Dear Alora,
You used “To hear” and “to listen” in correct situation. But you must use a reposition " to " after “to listen”

Are my words right, my teacher?
Thanks,
thuy

Hi Mango,

Clearly you understand the difference between ‘hear’ and ‘listen’.

Let me make some changes to what you have written:

I think that “to listen” is an action where we must pay attention. We are ready to welcome the coming result. For example: “I am listening to your answer”.
“To hear” is used when an action is coming naturally without our awareness.
I can only explain the above. I think Torsten has explained it very clearly .I hope you understand that.

Alan

Hi TORSTEN

The both words “listen” and “ear” sound sometime confused because if you don’t pay attention you are using them in the same situation.
I consider that “to listen” means to take care of earing something. To ear means not to be obviously waiting for this thing.
Example : When I was attending to a political meeting I listened the president speech. I also ear a noise which was sounding like a car crash.
I’m expecting your correct Torsten.

Thanks a lot for all

I would like to think you for your reply.

I still looking for the bestvkind to speak fluently. But I use reading listenig myself. But from English-test I have a little difficulties to listen. Maybe I’ts because I don’t master the use of the site yet. I’m waiting your help.

dear teacher!
what is " rather a long way away" mean?

Hi everyone!

When using listen,hear. Different between Listen and hear. Help me

Nhan

Hi…
what’s the different 'hear and listen ’ where they have same meaning …

There is no difference where they have the same meaning, of course. There is a long explanation of the difference HERE.

Hi Torsten,

listening means that for example I listen a story, hear means that the story isn´t loudly enough and I do not understand for example.

Marketa

Hi Marketa,

You listen to a story and you can hear a story loud and clear. To understand the difference between listen and hear you need to go to page one of this thread and read the explanations again.[YSaerTTEW443543]

TOEIC listening, question-response: Have you seen my briefcase?[YSaerTTEW443543]

someone can tell me the differentce between “so” and “So that” as coujunctions? Thank you so much!

ohh I think i’ve done this test listen vs Hear on an earlier test…
I wonder how it comes again.!!!
and I receive lessons not after each three days i receive it sometimes after 5days or sometimes it takes a week…
is there any problem?
omg!

Dear Torsten,

My score for this test is 8/10 :frowning: I understood my mistakes.
Also I’ve already listened to Sue. Audio lessons help to improve our English. Sometimes I listen to BBC. Also I watch Discovery channel in Russian but can hear the Enlish version. I watch MTV and Fashion TV too.Also I watch movies in English.

Regards,

~Phoebe

Your answers are clear and I can understand them. Hopefully in the future, I don[t make mistakes when using them.