Ginseng can take on some weird shapes!

Sometime in summer two years ago, I took a walk through the woods near my old place, which will be my new place again soon, though that won’t make it any newer. In other words, I hate my new place and therefore will go back to my old one.

Anyway, while walking through the woods, I looked up to see the location of the sun, when I noticed the bunny there.

I thought, ‘A rabbit made of sky!’

Yep, tree crowns can take on some weird shapes, too!

Claudia

1 Like

Hello,

I’m pretty sure the plant in the picture is called a staghorn. Take a look at these sites:

soenyun.com/Blog/tag/staghorn-ferns/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platycerium

Michelle

1 Like

Aaah, so that’s what I found in my pantry! And I thought it was a potato. Thanks, Michelle!

Claudia

1 Like

Hi, Michelle

“Staghorn” is the best name that someone could have ever given to this plant, because it really looks like the horns of a stag.

It’s very kind of you to find and share the sites about this giant and beautiful plant which captured my attention last summer! Till now it was just another picture in my phone’s gallery.
I hadn’t retained anything about it, because that botanic garden was full of beauties and there was so much to admire everywhere!
So, I was very pleased to read all information given by the sites, especially the description of the “repotting” process which was so different and interesting!

Thank you! I wouldn’t have had any idea of where to start looking [Claudia’s potato was the only idea – not a bad one :slight_smile: ], and now I know so much!

Best regards,
Monica

1 Like

Hi, Claudia

Thank you for telling me the secrets of your coffee with cardamom. I’ll try to make it exactly, but there’s one more thing: what does “stevia” mean? Do you really sweeten your coffee with it? Because I looked it up and I found that it’s a plant with long leaves which are chopped and added in sour soups, among many other leaves and vegetables. But nothing is what it seems, is it? the way that the fluffy white birds chased by a big fish are not birds, but orchids, and the big fish is vegetarian – doesn’t eat meat or other fish :))) [this is final].

Thanks a lot for not laughing at my first attempt of cofee with carda-hel :):slight_smile:

Gratefully,
Monica

P.S. There’s really a bunny up there! a flying rabbit?! Nature is more and more weird… or weirder and weirder? I really don’t know this. Do you?

1 Like

Stevia is a plant that has been substituting sugar and artificial sweeteners in recent years. You can get it as a white powder that looks like sugar or pressed into a small round pill just like the artificial sweeteners in a dispenser. It was very expensive when it first hit the market but as stevia increased in popularity, the price went down. I like it a lot because it doesn’t promote weight gain and cavities like sugar does and, unlike saccharin and sodium cyclamate, it is natural and therefore has a more pleasant taste, at least to me.

I say “weirder” like nature is getting weirder and weirder.

I’m glad that you can see the bunny, too! I’m always on the search for pareidolia but good ones are hard to find. The photos of the ginseng and the bunny were very lucky shots. I have another photo of a pareidolia though it’s not a nice picture. Not pretty but rare (and amusing). It’s a burn mark in a glass lid that looks like a cat looking through a window, lol.

Claudia

1 Like

Hi, Claudia

You gave me precious pieces of information tonight.
A natural sweetener is something to be considered, if it’s different from the saccharin or cyclamate which I hate.

I remember that my beloved mother used to show me faces or different shapes in the cloudy sky, but it usually took some time and effort from my part to identify them.

That pareidolia in the glass lid must be from the mad potato who tried desperately to escape, I’m sure :slight_smile:

Thank you for everything.

Monica

1 Like

Not only ginseng, but also potatoes :eyes:
They can be unusual, like these two Egiptian ones which I bought yesterday from a supermarket:

which I can’t say what it takes after,
And this very old lady like the one in Hansel and Gretl:

2 Likes