Expressions and idioms with numbers

when i logged in my hotmail, i got curious to read this essay, although i had no time
in fact it’s an excelent essay,it’s good when we have the ability to recall numbers or being excellent at math,but unfortunatly am very bad at math,i have been running away from it since i was kid,and now whenever i come across math at school i feel disatified,and mixed up particulary when we go deeper in it.

Hello Alan! What about “Cloud Nine”. Once I went to a Cafe called Cloud Nine, a very nice and charming place.Could you give me further information about the expression?
Flávia

Thank you for your lesson on numbers I really enjoied it. But first I will like to know the meaning of LOOKING FOR WRETCHED THINGS. secoundly I will like to know if the numbers mention in the lesson means the same all the time or it depends upon its position in the setence. and last what is suburbs?

thanks
BIN

HELLOW ALAN I forget to tomention your name in my text for greeting I always enjoied your explanation

THANKS

The 1896 edition of the International Cloud Atlas defined ten types of cloud. The ninth cloud was the cumulo-nimbus rising to a height of 10 km, which is the highest a cloud can be.

So if you are on cloud nine, you are very high - as in blissfully happy.

“She was on cloud nine when she passed her TOEFL test.”

i think the meaning of the phrases should me mentioned at the end of each paragraph.

Hi,

The essay is good which concering with number. Unfortunately I do not know the meaning of “Umpteenth time” and “ninepins” Would you tell me the meaning.

Martha

Hi Alan,

When I get your essays I’m always on the “cloud nine”. I am so sorry that having the busiest period in my life now I cannot write a little bit more. But I read every singe essay I get and I am proud of getting such an opportunity!

Sincerely yours,

Yuri

Yuri!
That makes two of us. I’ve been on “cloud nine” and the reason is MICASA JARDIM E DECORAÇÃO (gardening and decoration),my own business. I worked with Landscaping a long time ago in my late twenties. Now, in my early fifties ,I’ve got the guts to come back to the gardens. So, my “green thumb” has kept me “busy as a bee”. By the way, I would love to learn more idioms related to plants and animals.

Flávia

Flavia, nice to meet you!

I think it is easier to have a green thumb in Brazil than in Siberia, but we grow some cucumbers and potatoes hear!

Best wishes,

Yuri

Hello Yuri!

Thank you for your reply. I agree with what you say about Brazil and Siberia. In the south where I live we have winter time. Most people think that here we have summer all year long but that is not true, we do have winter . Of course we cannot compare it to Siberia. My state is called Rio Grande do Sul and we’re quite different from the rest of the country, we are called “gaúchos” (the translation would be cowboys), with our traditional clothes, music, costums. People here drink a kind of tea called chimarrão (or mate). It is part of our life, people drink it everywhere. Oh! And we have Italians, Germans, Japaneses, people from Poland and even a Russian community where people still keep the costums and the language.

By the way, I’m good at growing ornamental plants and flowers but not that good at vegetables.

Have a nice week!

Flávia

very interesting. I have been studying english for 2 years but my speaking and listening haven’t improved. English speakers speak very fast. I hope that my english will improve.

Hello Bolortuya,

Welcome to the forums. I’m sure that yourr English has improved over two years, but perhaps the improvements aren’t as great as you would like, or perhaps you just haven’t noticed how much better it is, because you are concentrating so hard on the parts that you still don’t understand.

thanks

haa. I like this number’s article. So explaining. Right after the number phrases there is always brief explanation about the meaning. it helps me much. Thanks a billion Alan. BTW do I write a correct english?

The numbers would important in our daily lives we are dealing with on a daily basis but with all the regret does not memorize the numbers are only the deal with them, even the first example Wake up of the morning at five oclock, completed all arrangements for going out to work at seven oclock and out of the office and complete at the third.
Regards

Hallo everybody,
how are you ?.hope you are fine.
first,i want to say thanks for Mr.Alan. Your lesson is very interesting.When i learnd German , i forgot all word in English .So i need to practice myself with anybody in forum .
because i my thesis will be in English and i must speak with my group in english
so which one can i help me ?.i will be greatful when anybody will do so.
Iam waiting your reply.
regards
Baraa Siyo

really thank for your share,Alan.

Hi Alan,
I really liked your story, which has made easier for me to understand and learn different number idioms. My problem is how can we use an idiom “On all fours” in our daily routine.

I am understood what the story was,but as well as I get some new words these I did n,t understand what was it. I prefere to explain me if you could plz.