End vs finish

Thanks a lot to those who tried to explain my confusion to me. You guys are really helpful. Thanks once again.

Noren Lee (Limbu)
AB, Am. Eng.
NEPAL

Dear Alan ,

thank you for your effort .

I am wondering for put this lesson in this beginner level,i think it makes some confusion for members.

can you explain the purpose of that ?

best regards

Dear Torsten, I made the exercise about end and finish that you asked me. I answered only 7 questions correctly. I confess to you I don`t know to use both words precisely. Please, help me.

Cristovam, Learn this to start and then learn the different uses afterwards …

“end” is a point at which something stops or to create a point at which something stops.

We reached the end of the project. (the point the project stops)
We ended the project. (created a point at which we stopped the project)

“finish” is to stop an action, or complete an action.

I finished work early yesterday (I stopped the action of working)
of course we can also say: I ended work early. (created a point at which I stopped)
We finished the project. (we completed the project)
The runner reached the finish. (the runner completed the race)

I hope this helps.

Rob
TOEIC test preparation online.
See your estimated TOEIC score level and your strengths and weaknesses.
http://www.onlineenglish.eu

who can exactly tell me the diffrerence between finish and end?

Hello Ali,
They are similar which mean more or less the same thing. However, we can distinguish between the two. Finish means to complete, conversely end just means to stop. You may end something without finish it.
I couldn’t finish my breakfast because my school bus has already came and forced me to end it.
Many times I end my recording without finish it, so I cannot hear my voice. It is not posted yet.
My teacher asked me to finish my answer sheet and I did not end the essay due to insufficient time.

End is more common word for change.
It is time to end our uncertainty about determination between finish and end.

End is used for something definitely over.
The Spring quarter ends on June 10th.
THE END is written on the screen at the end of the film.

End is bringing something to a close.
I will end my presentation with conclusions.
My formal letter usually ends with ‘best regards’.

End is also used for the shape of things.
I live at the end of this road.

Finish your question and I’ll end my talk.

Hello Valad,

Please take a look at the exercise finish vs. end - pay particular attention to the fact that each question has a tab by it labelled ‘click here for an explanation’. Clicking on this link will explain the answer to each of the questions.
Give it a try and let us know how you got on.

By the way, this is not the first time this question has been asked. You might want to read the end vs finish thread here.

What a lovely explanation, Lina!
I love the way you explain it and also find it helpful for myself.
Thank you.
JLTS

thank you Joseph and Beeesneees,
i got the defference between finish and end from your explanaition.
please be in contact with me, i think its a good way to improve our learning English.

Thanks Joseph (JLTS). You encourage me. Lina

Not a lot. They are synonyms ie different words which mean more or less the same thing. English, being a blend of a Germanic language with additions of Latin and French, often has two words (one Germanic, one French) for the same thing, as in this case. End is from Ende (German) and finish from finis (French).

Pruthiraj Nayak

In my book ‘finis’ is Latin!

Alan

Hi Torsten

In My opinion the using of words finsih and end. I think finish that usually use for something have time limit. In return the using of end for instance divorce which we does not predict when it will end. Can you explain it ? Thank you.

Regards
Subroto

Dear Torsten Daerr,
Thank you for your explaination. I will practice more about finish and end.

Hi, Mr. Torsten,
Thanking you for sending me lesson No. 4 Finish vs End. I got 6 correct answers out of 10 questions.
After that I read finish vs end and that made me understood, difference between finish and end, but still I feel I have to practice more on this. So please can you send me more question on this lesson. Please let me know how I am doing?
Regards
Mukesh Kaushik

the answer of Alan is quite useful!
Many thanks!

Hi there.
After read all of your explanations I still very confusing about “Finish and ended”.
Because in the end of each movies they always write “The end” but maybe that movies might be continue.
Can you explain more clearly?
Thank you so much.

Hello, Torsten and Alan;
Even though I got 9 marks at the first attempt, I still read “Teacher explanation” in each question. In fact, I always do it in every test. Because I can learn more information from it and read other learners’ discussion. It’s very helpful to me to improve my English and writing skill.

Thanks for everything you have done for me.

Best regards;
Michelle

Thanks Alan, Torsten and Nola very much but I still confuse…^^ : " She ended her career as an opera singer in 1968 " but we all know that she declared. Maybe after some years she came back to sing ? Can we still use " end" in this case ?
Forgive for my mistakes in dictating…
Best wishes !

great thanks, helps me a lot to learn!