Do you look like the 'wrong' nationality?

Hi Kala,

Whoever you look like, all I can say is that seeing your pictures as I opened my computer this morning was indeed a very pleasant experience.

Best wishes,

Alan

Umm… no this is my computer talk or texting lingo my native language is English and i was in AP language last year and I speak Spanish I’m only 18 so I’m apart of the texting world lol. I have been speaking english and another language for years now… so whatever you said is a rude remark and you over analyzed things lol I’ll put a picture of my transcript if you do not believe me

I apologize, Kala, but when I looked at the way you wrote, I really wasn’t sure if you were a native English speaker or not.

So, in that regard, I have a request: English-Test is a website for foreigners who are trying to learn good English. For this reason, native speakers who post here should write in correct English – not in texting language – so that the people who are learning English have a good example to follow and don’t pick up bad habits.

Most native English speakers don’t realize this, but having texting language and other bad language as influences can cause foreign learners serious problems when they try to go to college or work at jobs. It can mean the difference between their failing their classes, never getting into college, not getting promoted on their jobs, or even never getting a good job. I have seen all of these things happen to people who followed the examples of Americans and British people who wrote the way you did.

So, out of consideration for the people who are just learning, please use your AP English, not your texting English, because they need you to help them improve their English, not help them ruin their English.

And the name of the language is “English”, not “english”.

Hi Jamie, aul’ chap :slight_smile:

I didn’t know what AP English was, so I had a look on wikipedia. Here’s a definition.

“The AP English Language and Composition [[high school] course is designed to help students become skilled readers of prose written in a variety of periods, disciplines, and rhetorical contexts and to become skilled writers who can compose for a variety of purposes. By their writing and reading in this course, students should become aware of the interactions among a writer’s purposes, audience expectations, and subjects, as well as the way generic conventions and the resources of language contribute to effective writing. Students are strongly encouraged to take the AP examination at the end of the course.”

Yes, Ralf, that’s “AP English”. When I was in high school, it was called “English”.

“AP” means “advanced placement”. It means that if you learn English in high school, they don’t make you take it again at the university. When I was that age, we just took “English” and then a test for credit and exemption when we got to university.