difference between dumb and stupid

Very articulately put, Amy. I agree with all of it.

I think “dumb” for “stupid” has its place in BrE. “Dummy”, which derives from “dumb”, has indicated a “blockhead” since the late 18th century; British schoolchildren have called each other “dumbo” for several decades.

Cf. Robert Graves’s play on the word in:

(I’m not sure why “crazy” should be excluded, either, in that particular test: “thin partitions”, etc.)

MrP

You’re right, MrP. Come to think of it, the word ‘crazy’ isn’t that far-fetched a choice for the test sentence either.

There is a book called What’s the difference written by Norman Moss. There are many words that differ from British English and American language.
/Maria

Be careful of those lists of “differences” in British and American English, because many of the items are not true.

Well I am Swedish so I have to trust the dictionaries until I get a better word or expression by a native.
I know that the English language changes very fast. The word “hey” has changed it’s meaning for example and it puzzles me :frowning:
/Maria

“Hey” used to be a noise to get people’s attention. Now more and more Americans are using it in the same way the Swedish word “hej” is used. I think it’s because it has always been used that way a lot in the deep south, where the language has old, old Nordic influence, probably predating the split of the various Germanic languages.